Thread: rem17 to 223

rem17 to 223

I was on the look out for a 223 to put together a fun rifle for my son. 223's are very sought after in our area and even a bad one fetches top dollar. I stumbled across a very little used rem 700 in rem17 with the engraved action for little money as ammo is hard to come by. After thinking about it, decided to find a 223 barrel for her. After a while I found a smith that was pulling off a brand new 223 1/12 barrel off a Remington doner action. I had the barrel fitted and chopped to 20" with my choice crown. We had a box of American Eagle 50gr hp lying around and zeroed them. I only fired 4 rounds to zero and the last two were just about in the same hole. In the meantime I sourced a few more boxes of the AE's. Yesterday I dropped a grey crow at 250yds after missing a magpie at 440yds. The little 50gr bullet is just not great in the wind. I'll try a 300m group today to check drop.
    I like this little rifle as it is very simple and lightweight, my son made the stock . Only drawback is that the trigger is a bit on the hard side but it is safer that way and one just needs to concentrate a bit more when firing. The original drop plate seems to be feeding fine so it will stay as is for now.

edi

Really nice rifle! Doesn't sound like your son's getting much chance to use it.

Had a few shots with the 308 & 223 at 471m / 515yds this afternoon. Had 3-10mph wind fish tailing 6-8 o'clock and 0-12mph 9 o'clock wind at the target. My drop chart is not really confirmed yet with either rifle. Under these conditions I was happy with a slightly over 3" (85mm) group 168 and 155 a bit larger. With the 223 I didn't get on paper. Apparently she goes subsonic at 600yds with the 50gr hp, maybe she was struggling too much with the wind.
    308 off silage bales, target 470m 515 yds.

Not my best groups but only fired a few shots.

Drove to different place, target 285m / 314yds. First 100yds light tail wind ~100y to target 5-12mph 9 o'clock.
    Drop was a bit more than my drop chart. 1 MOA, wind needed 3 moa. 223 rem

five quick shots. 50gr American Eagle 50gr HP ( the gunshop who sold it to us had mixed a few FMJ into the box, nothing new here.... have to be happy to get ammo at all)

Overall the 223 with this ammo is a 200, maybe 250yd rifle as is just too wind sensitive.

edi

Nice shooting, Edi. You'd be right at home with the guys in my hood.~Muir

I bet I would enjoy it.
    The weather was a problem here in the last half year but we recently had a few days without rain thankfully.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Really nice rifle! Doesn't sound like your son's getting much chance to use it.
    He doesn't shoot much anyway but is starting to shoot rabbits with some farming friends he has. We need to tend to some fox problems and I'll hold the lamp, let him shoot. Just want to make sure the rifle is ok.
    I would need my own...maybe a 9 twist 223 for 69gr??
    edi

Got a 50 box of Fiocchi 50gr V-Max and a box of Hornady 55gr spire point just to see if I get a bit better bc. Was a bit windy yesterday with 12mph av. from 9 O'clock but I found a ditch that sheltered the wind somewhat. Interesting was that both printed very similar and both on the same zero as 50gr hp AE ammo. Now that is great. Recon one could tighten the groups a bit off a proper bench.
    Might have to build my son another rifle....

edi

Thanks for the updates. Nice to see that you're enjoying the rifle.

You mentioned problems getting hold of ammo. Are you still not allowed to reload?

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Nice to see that you're enjoying the rifle.

You mentioned problems getting hold of ammo. Are you still not allowed to reload?
    For some it is allowed at our Midlands Shooting Range, generally I don't think it will ever be allowed. The shooting lobby is just to weak.
    Especially for longer range that is a disadvantage.
    The ammo situation is not great where I live but we now can order online without needing to travel the country for a box. Biggest problem is that there is no consistency, what one gets today might not be available again.
    edi