Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski 8 x 42 el range or leica geovoid 8 x 42 HD B?

Swarovski 8 x 42 el range or leica geovoid 8 x 42 HD B?

As per the long title! I currently have some slc 7x42 which I could trade in as part of the bushwear £600 slc buy back deal and spend around £1500 for the swarovski .. OR .. I could sell my old swarovski private and put the money towards the leicas? There on special at £1749 at uttings.

any thoughts appreciated! I know I've been very pleased with swarovski back up in the past.

thanks.

You need to get to look through both, and decide what suits you, because understandably, people are just going to recommend what they have, either, because they compared, and made a choice, or they just bought a brand/review, and haven't tried the alternative !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    You need to get to look through both, and decide what suits you, because understandably, people are just going to recommend what they have, either, because they compared, and made a choice, or they just bought a brand/review, and haven't tried the alternative !!!
    Sure. Problem is no where round here keeps stock of anything, particularly the models I want to look down. I wanted to look at a merkel helix, but usual response is "I can order one in for you" . how do I know if I want to buy something if I haven't had a chance to handle it first.

[QUOTE=Boarboy;1108091]Sure. Problem is no where round here keeps stock of anything, particularly the models I want to look down. I wanted to look at a merkel helix, but usual response is "I can order one in for you" . how do I know if I want to buy something if I haven't had a chance to handle it first.[/Q]

And that's my point. Why would you buy something optical, based on the eyes of another person ?

I sometimes shoot not far from the Blue boys service station, I don't know how far you are from there, but I have a helix you can look at. Pm me your tel.

To be honest If you don't have any issues with your eyes I don't think you will have a problem with either of these binoculars, both top quality glass. I just bought the 8x42 Swarovski RF's and can only say they are outstanding!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

If you want the ballistics calculator for longer range shooting there is only one choice, else the right comparison is with the Leica HD R. By the way I had/have Swaro 7x42SLCs (great binos) but have just bought Leica HD B.

Got my geovids stolen a couple of years back , decided to buy a set of the swarovski rf's , if I could have either of them I would have the geovids , the new swarovski are great glass as are leica , but the geovids seem a lot more robust , my swarovski 's look very worn , metal work not protected enough perhaps ? They do get some stick though !

I tried both numerous times before buying

to my eyes I can't tell the difference between high end Zeiss, Swaro or Leica glass, especially when in the same mag/objective combo

The killer for me was as follows:

Swaro- didn't like the packaging of the RF with the bump under the body of the bins
    Swaro - didnt like the new strap fastening
    Leica - The LRF responds faster and is less prone to error readings (can't range) than the Swaro (it also consistently ranges further than the spec by some margin)
    Swaro and Leica - Glass is great, both very clear and bright right up to the edge
    Swaro - significantly more expensive
    Leica - Ballistic, Inclination and Environmental readings built in, whether you choose the pre loaded tables or the chip facility
    Leica - felt better in hand

I started the group buy because of this For Sale: Last week for the Leica/Pulsar/Swaro group buy..
    Its still running this week as the Euro is at E1.28 to the pound and it makes a difference

prices to your door are the same in euros but down in pounds
    Sell your SLC and you are under a grand!

Leica

8x42 HD-R €1750 -
    8x42 HD-B €1980 - £1540

8x56 HD-R €1950 -
    8x56 HD-B €2230 -

10x42 HD-R €1750 -
    10x42 HD-B €2032 -

Swaro
    Swarovski EL Range 8x42 WB - €2150 - £1672
    Swarovski EL Range 10x42 WB - €2250

Pulsar
    XD19S - €1749 -

XD38S - €2520 -

XD50S - €2850 -

I have the Leicas. You will not be disappointed in any way + the addiotional features (if you care for that)

I too have the 8x42 Range, utterly superb.

Try Andersons in East Grinstead, they usually have several pairs of ranging binos to try.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.