Thread: Redding 357 magnum dies

Redding 357 magnum dies

Hello.

I have just purchased a set of the above from ebay and I asked the seller if the FL die had the carbide insert,He assured me that they were BUT is they any way of checking them please ?? I don't have them yet and if they are not the carbide ones then I send them back. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated .

If they're carbide dies you can see the carbide insert, it shows up as dull grey. It's pressed in from the open end and is flush with the mouth. As far as I know, it always say "Carbide die" or " Titanium Carbide" on the end of the box.

This is a picture of a Hornady carbide die but they are all much about the same.
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...e-Shell-Holder

If you've just paid 36 for your dies, I think they are fairly old - maybe 1970's and I don't think they are carbide. Nothing wrong with the dies but if they're not carbide you will need to lube the case before sizing.

SD Regular
    Carbide dies existed in the 1970s, have no doubts about that, I was reloading with RCBS .38/.357 carbide dies in 1976 for my Colt Trooper Mk III when the only thing most on here were reloading were their nappies.

But be aware that you must, must, leave a gap 20 thou/1mm is sufficient between top of shellholder an bottom of the die. Tungsten carbide is brittle and shouldn't contact the shellholder. Unlike pure tungsten....

The picture that's been posted shows the difference. On quality dies like Redding it'll be like that. Box might say, just TC. RCBS carbide dies came, at one time, in a grey box.

I think Redding, like RCBS, only use tungsten carbine. Hornady use, also, titanium carbide but other makes have too in the past.

Tungsten carbide is granular but "sharp"...titanium carbide is granular but "rounded". In real terms it makes no difference I've ever noticed.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 25-04-2016 at 22:44.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	69468

Here is the box from the Auction.

That's the set I noticed. It's a job to be certain but I don't think they are carbide - It doesn't say so on the box (and all makers never miss a chance to crow about any enhancement) and I can't see the insert.

This is an actual Redding die
    http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-...reloading-ease

Thanks for the reference , I did make a point of asking him before I place my Bid were they Carbide die and he said that they were, But after a while I did wonder, anyway if they are not I will be filing a not as described..

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    That's the set I noticed. It's a job to be certain but I don't think they are carbide - It doesn't say so on the box (and all makers never miss a chance to crow about any enhancement) and I can't see the insert.

Last edited by samIOW; 26-04-2016 at 07:55.

Just to give everyone who posted a update, The seller gave me a refund straight away once I told him that they were not Carbide. Thanks to all who tried to help me, I have since bought a RCBS set ( New )

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post