Thread: Travelling to Ireland with firearms via ferry

Travelling to Ireland with firearms via ferry

I'm going to stalk Sika in southern Ireland in September and planning to travel via ferry to NI then down to Wicklow. Is their any hassle with taking firearms on Ferry's to NI and then travelling down to southern Ireland?

your supposed to inform them, takin a shotgun a few times told them at security, they checked cert and it was secure and that was the end of it at the time you werent allowed to travel with cartridges but i believe you are now not sure of bullets theres a whole page on BASC about it

Von I think you may possibly be making it doubly difficult for yourself by travelling to the North first where a different set of rules/laws apply to the mainland and then travelling on to the republic. Is it possible to travel direct to the south and that way you will only have the Gardi to deal with?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Von I think you may possibly be making it doubly difficult for yourself by travelling to the North first where a different set of rules/laws apply to the mainland and then travelling on to the republic. Is it possible to travel direct to the south and that way you will only have the Gardi to deal with?

Well said 8x57. Enjoy your trip over here. Are you using an Irish outfitter?

Glendine.

I did the same trip in the Sika rut last year. I went to Dublin rather than NI though. Just make sure you have all your relevant paperwork and you'll be fine. As has been said you're supposed to inform them and have things checked out, but apparently people just go through without alerting them without any hassle. Irish ferries still have an embargo on having ammo aboard also.

As 8x57 said, travelling through Northern Ireland means travelling through a third jurisdiction. You require a permit from the PSNI to transit through the North with a firearm. I have had similar situations in reverse, bringing firearms to the UK. I have sailed from Dublin to Wales and driven to my destination in Scotland, with mainland UK permits, rather than needing separate paperwork for a short drive through the north to the ferry. If you can just sail direct to Dublin with a short drive to Wicklow. Best of luck on your trip!
    Last edited by Glen of Imaal; 26-04-2016 at 13:01.

It can be done easily......
    If you are only transiting the rifle through N.I and not using it here then all you need is -

1.your own FAC
    2. European firearm pass (which is issued free through your own police force)
    3. A letter or email from whoever you are shooting with in Rep. Ireland confirming the booking/permission

Hope this helps

Thanks for the help guys.

i travel the same route every year Von without any issues.
    Just get in touch with the Police firearms dept in NI and they will need a copy of your firearms certificate, and the rifle details you intend to bring with you, ive managed to get a letter faxed to me 12 hrs before sailing once.
    Use Stenna and again inform them you will be carrying a firearm and ammunition, again no hassle from them.
    Best of luck with your trip, ill be over for the sika rut with some friends, might bump into you.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am