Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Firearms Passport?

Question European Firearms Passport?

I have an interest in buying a rifle from an EU country and have applied for a European Firearms Passport, does anyone else have one? Did you have any trouble being issued with it?

Any advice, experiences or just general wisdom (about importing rifles before you all start ) would be much appreciated.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

EU passes are issued free, you need to specify which firearms you want to take on your travels. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I have an interest in buying a rifle from an EU country and have applied for a European Firearms Passport, does anyone else have one? Did you have any trouble being issued with it?

Any advice, experiences or just general wisdom (about importing rifles before you all start ) would be much appreciated.

ft
    no mate you just call up your local firearms admin team and they will issue you one FOC

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    EU passes are issued free, you need to specify which firearms you want to take on your travels. Steve.
    Steve, are we talking calibre specific, or serial number specific?

I realised they were free after reading the blurb from the Home Office, but there seems to be some doubt at West Mercia Firearms as to whether i need one to go abroad, buy a rifle, and bring it home. Now I would have thought a vacant slot on the FAC and a EFP would be all that was needed, as other EU countries do not insist on the same controls as we do.

Bearing in mind I want to travel abroad in the EU, purchase a rifle and bring it home. Now from the "Guidance" I think (not certain) that a vacant slot on the FAC is filled in by customs on return, but a EFP ( as well as FAC) would be needed to be abroad (but in the EU) to be in possession of the rifle. Yes? No?

Or do I need to buy the rifle, have the serial number put on my FAC and EFP and then travel and pick it up?

Yours concernedly, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

With my limited experience in the method you wish to use, if it was me doing it, I would view the rifle, then arrange to rfd it back this way, as far as I am aware the EU pass is just for members to move rifles around within the EU,those that are already in possession, mine has the larger calibres serial no's & details entered on it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi i use my EFP about four times a year, you need to have all your firearms listed, ie name make and calibre. If you book a ferry you need to let them know you are carrying firearms they will want to know all the details. when you board the ferry your keys will be held for the duration of the crossing. This year was the first time that i was stopped by customs on the way out they checked the guns against my EFP they also checked with the ferry operator. all very easy. if you know the details of the rifle you are intending to purchase you can get it added in advance. i would talk to your FLO regarding this matter.

regards Geoff
    Last edited by geoffrey; 07-06-2010 at 16:21.

I used to live in essex so a pop across the channel for a days pistol shooting was common. I also applied for and had the European Firearms Licence. Mainly for taking a rifle to a friends farm in France for boar bashing. Just call your issuing office, fill in and you should get it free within a few weeks. Points:

1. Full firearms details entered including serial nos.
    2. Declare the firearms at each and every border you cross. My mate forgot when crossing into France, got pulled and it wasn't pleasant.
    3. If intending to buy one abroad, apply for the variation and slot as per norm. Include your european firearms passport and they'll amend accordingly. Go to the country of your choice and the dealer there will enter the details of your new purchase on it (not your UK cert). Declare the new firearm as soon as you enter the country, customs will usually inspect it and record it - then allow you on your way to return home with it. Send your UK cert and european away immediately to your own issuing office and they will do the rest.
    4. Most countries and their customs generally don't care and will rarely show any interest - UK shooter so UK's problem. However the passport and firearm must be declared when crossing any borders. Respect the rules and they're usually very laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    I used to live in essex so a pop across the channel for a days pistol shooting was common. I also applied for and had the European Firearms Licence. Mainly for taking a rifle to a friends farm in France for boar bashing. Just call your issuing office, fill in and you should get it free within a few weeks. Points:

1. Full firearms details entered including serial nos.
    2. Declare the firearms at each and every border you cross. My mate forgot when crossing into France, got pulled and it wasn't pleasant.
    3. If intending to buy one abroad, apply for the variation and slot as per norm. Include your european firearms passport and they'll amend accordingly. Go to the country of your choice and the dealer there will enter the details of your new purchase on it (not your UK cert). Declare the new firearm as soon as you enter the country, customs will usually inspect it and record it - then allow you on your way to return home with it. Send your UK cert and european away immediately to your own issuing office and they will do the rest.
    4. Most countries and their customs generally don't care and will rarely show any interest - UK shooter so UK's problem. However the passport and firearm must be declared when crossing any borders. Respect the rules and they're usually very laid back.
    Scotsgun, thanks for that! What you describe tallies nicely with what i had read, but I was not sure that I had the full information correctly assimilated!

It seems West Mercia are not sure either. I have an open slot for a 7x64 on my FAC, but obviously having not viewed that particular foriegn rifle i am wary of the procedures. I would like my trip, if it comes off, to go smoothly.

Atb, ft

Most probably they don't process many if at all, mate. No-where near the channel.

If unsure, just PM me or call the licencing offices of Kent or Essex Police.

Just add an accompanying letter explaining your intentions to purchase a rifle in 7x64 whilst abroad and they'll sort it on the passport.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Most probably they don't process many if at all, mate. No-where near the channel.

If unsure, just PM me or call the licencing offices of Kent or Essex Police.

Just add an accompanying letter explaining your intentions to purchase a rifle in 7x64 whilst abroad and they'll sort it on the passport.
    Scotsgun, you are a star! Thanks very much for the advice, it's much appreciated.

Atb, ft

Edit, just had my very helpful FEO round and he brought me an information sheet from the DTI which says;

"to move firearms from one EU state to another a license (a transfer License) must be obtained from the EU member state in which the firearm is situated. These arrangements appy to all transfers of firearms covered by the above mentioned Directive including commercial consignments, mail order sails or where an individual buys or permenantly acquires a firearm in another EU member state and wants to bring it back to their State of residence."

Nearly sorted!
    Last edited by flytie; 07-06-2010 at 20:22. Reason: unfortunate information