Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22lr accuracy.

22lr accuracy.

Rather than hijack another thread I though I would start my own.
    i have a ruger 10/22. It is ok, have changed some bits so it has a hogue stock and a decent barrel but it's accuracy is ok to 50 maybe 60 yards. I don't use it a lot. Hmr gets most of the use. I was popping bunnies last night at 190 yards.
    Anyway,
    i do like the 22. It is light and quiet with subs in it and it looks like I wil be doing some shooting soon in a sensitive area so would like to drag it out again.

some people claim accuracy out to 100 yards with their 22.
    So here are my questions;
    will my 10/22 ever be accurate enough or should I just stick to 50/60 yards. I am head shooting, not body shooting.
    should I change it for a different 22lr which will be more accurate.
    have they finally come up with a frangible 22 bullet that reduces the ping, wheeeeee, oh crap, where's that gone, effect?

this is 22 calibre specific thread so please don't mention other calibres, other than that let the mockery begin......
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

just stick with what you have and are doing now no need to change,17 for longer stuff and the 22 for quieter work you can stretch the distance a bit more, you could go over hundred but if you wound anything over that by the time youve walked over it will have scrambled away,so stick with what is humane and comfortable, and the ammo hasnt changed its still 22,enjoy,doug,
    DONT START

May be try some different ammunition as after all .22L/R ammunition can vary a lot and some guns like some types and not others.

I had a very trick 10-22 that would hold an inch at 100m but it cost a fortune to get there , went and brought a finnfire after that and it did it out of the box .......

190 yds popping rabbits with a 17 hmr is good going !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

If you want to shoot out to 100 get a bolt action. I was at my local 100 yd range with a buddy on Sunday and we were shooting 1.5" spinners at 100 with my old BSA Century it was conststantly whacking them with ease. it loves Eley match type ammo and will stick 10 under a 5p piece at 50 if I do my bit and steer it straight. Best 22 I've ever owned just wish I could find another mag for it!

I have tried a number and they all seem to be much of a muchness..
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannywayoflife View Post
    If you want to shoot out to 100 get a bolt action. I was at my local 100 yd range with a buddy on Sunday and we were shooting 1.5" spinners at 100 with my old BSA Century it was conststantly whacking them with ease. it loves Eley match type ammo and will stick 10 under a 5p piece at 50 if I do my bit and steer it straight. Best 22 I've ever owned just wish I could find another mag for it!
    Interesting the only century's I have seen had a loading platfrom and no magazine. As the Supersport Five is similar do you know if thsoe magazines fit?

If they do I believe I saw a spare only the other day. Will need to pop over and check if they are the same and find out the price.

In that case you have your answer ......................... with that rifle that is about the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Rather than hijack another thread I though I would start my own.
    i have a ruger 10/22. It is ok, have changed some bits so it has a hogue stock and a decent barrel but it's accuracy is ok to 50 maybe 60 yards. I don't use it a lot. Hmr gets most of the use. I was popping bunnies last night at 190 yards.
    Anyway,
    i do like the 22. It is light and quiet with subs in it and it looks like I wil be doing some shooting soon in a sensitive area so would like to drag it out again.

some people claim accuracy out to 100 yards with their 22.
    So here are my questions;
    will my 10/22 ever be accurate enough or should I just stick to 50/60 yards. I am head shooting, not body shooting.
    should I change it for a different 22lr which will be more accurate.
    have they finally come up with a frangible 22 bullet that reduces the ping, wheeeeee, oh crap, where's that gone, effect?

this is 22 calibre specific thread so please don't mention other calibres, other than that let the mockery begin......
    So here are my findings, my 10/22 has the same accuracy at 20 metres as my old bsa ba has at 100 yards!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Interesting the only century's I have seen had a loading platfrom and no magazine. As the Supersport Five is similar do you know if thsoe magazines fit?

If they do I believe I saw a spare only the other day. Will need to pop over and check if they are the same and find out the price.
    I'm not sure on that one mate....... Is there anyone with more knowledge on here who would know the answer?