RL15 one size fits all?

steviebee

HI,

Having the same old story of varget drying up, trying to source a powder to load several calibers and after much searching came across RL15 , and from what the load data informs me it appears to cover all bases,for the calibers I reload, anyone out there use RL15 at all?

in the following calibers, 223/243/260/308/30-30/303.

cheers Steve

Used RL 15 in the 260 - just the max loads from the Nosler Book 6/website, same for a 7-08 that I used to have..... the results matched the Nosler data within 5fps, using Nosler Custom Brass or Lapua brass. I am still using it after 10 years and have no reason to change unless the supply dries up.

I use it in 22-250 and 220swift but it seems to be drying up in shops,n140 and varget are similar.is norma 203b the same?

Last edited:
I thought Varget was readily available last time I saw at least 5x tubs in two different places. Have you tried reloading solutions if your in Oxford?

D

I asked for RL15 at the Shooting Show and was told that RS60 was the same, but according to charts, I should have been sold RS50, which also has the same burn rate as N140. The charts show RS60 as being the same burn rate as RL17 and N550.

I asked for RL15 at the Shooting Show and was told that RS60 was the same, but according to charts, I should have been sold RS50, which also has the same burn rate as N140. The charts show RS60 as being the same burn rate as RL17 and N550.

Yes Reloader 17 is another name for RS60 so you were sold the wrong powder.

Yes it is reloader 17 and Swiss rs60 (elcho 17) that is the same.

Last edited:
Yes exactly the same, the Swiss company Nitrochemie make it and it is marketed under different names such as Elcho 17 and Aliant Reloader 17.

As for Reloader 15 I don't know who actually makes it if it isn't Aliant but I believe it has similar burn rates to N140 or RS62 which is also know as TR140 and of course the beloved Australian powder that so many people are missing Varget.

Update.
I'm not absolutely sure of the accuracy of this information but just looking on the web and it seems that RL15 is made in Sweden by Bofors or Nobel and is/was also marketed as Norma N203 or 203B, and also marketed as one of the Rottweil powders at one time.

Last edited:
Back