Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera/Spotting Scope Tripod

Camera/Spotting Scope Tripod

Any recommendations for a tripod for a spotting scope or camera? I have one but it's a cheap thing bought from Jessops many, many years ago and is not very robust. Any recommendations would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

SD Regular
    Bogpods have served me well. With QR head it can be converted from spotting to shooting in a matter of moments and is light and robust.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

As per link below I still have one of these left (slightly sticky leg but fixable) & you'd be welcome to it.

Shooting from camera tripods? - Page 2

Other than that I'd say buy the lightest you can afford & hang a bag or rock from it to steady it. I picked up a carbon-fibre tripod in a shop the other day & nearly threw it through the roof it was so light! I'm rather more used to making sure that my back is straight & my knees slightly bent before picking up my other ones.

Have a look at Bog Pod.
    Available from Amazon UK, opticswarehouse, and others. Expensive...but very good. Comes in two sizes.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

If you want the best that money can buy then you need go no further than; RRS - Tripods.

'Best' tripods in the way that Purdey & Holland & Holland make 'best' shotguns.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    If you want the best that money can buy then you need go no further than; RRS - Tripods.

'Best' tripods in the way that Purdey & Holland & Holland make 'best' shotguns.
    What he said!

I use Manfrotto tripods for my cameras and spotting scopes. They are reassuringly solid (i.e. heavy) and you won't go wrong with them.

You can pick them up secondhand pretty easily, though McKenzie's kind offer is better still
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    As per link below I still have one of these left (slightly sticky leg but fixable) & you'd be welcome to it.

Shooting from camera tripods? - Page 2

Other than that I'd say buy the lightest you can afford & hang a bag or rock from it to steady it. I picked up a carbon-fibre tripod in a shop the other day & nearly threw it through the roof it was so light! I'm rather more used to making sure that my back is straight & my knees slightly bent before picking up my other ones.
    McKenzie, that is a very generous offer. What I'll do is look at the youtube link that you attached later, check that I'm up to the work (which I'd hope that I was) and then send you details and the money required for postage. Thank you.
    I won't be lugging any tripod up and down over deer forests with a rifle on my other shoulder - the longest it will get is to bird hides (I'm introducing my kids to the joys of the natural world partly through bird watching. That's where I started, after all, and they love it. They're getting pretty good at identification themselves, but setting up a spotting scope so that I can pinpoint birds for them helps things along.

Just braved the rain, snow & sleet to check & you won't need to tighten the centre-column on this one. It's still got one sticky leg which I'm sure could be fixed, or you could just live with it. I can drop it off in Dunkeld or Kirriemuir next week or I have a job coming up in Aberdeen which still has to have the date confirmed, but likely to be in the next 6 weeks.

Monfrotto 055 for the tripod. Forget thin/lightweight tripods for spotting scopes. They need to be very robust and weighty enough not to be buffeted too much by the wind. I use the same tripod for my spotting scope as I do for studio work when photographing something for the website...Manfrotto every time for me but any of a similar ilk will do the job well enough. It makes a big difference to spotting having a good solid support.

Glad to hear that you received it.