Thread: Using Deer dogs on an RTA.

Using Deer dogs on an RTA.

I always take my dog when I've been called out to a deer rta. And on the occasions when I couldn't visually find the deer I walk the road side verge in the hope she will pick up a scent. To be honest without much success. Is this just me or is it that I haven't trained my dog well enough or in the right way? She will track a hot scent fine(what dog wont) and a couple of times a 24h scent and anything in between. But she seems to struggle with deer rta's

Quote Originally Posted by wag View Post
    I always take my dog when I've been called out to a deer rta. And on the occasions when I couldn't visually find the deer I walk the road side verge in the hope she will pick up a scent. To be honest without much success. Is this just me or is it that I haven't trained my dog well enough or in the right way? She will track a hot scent fine(what dog wont) and a couple of times a 24h scent and anything in between. But she seems to struggle with deer rta's
    I always have my dogs with me but if i am called out on a RTA and i cant find it, i mark it on my GPS and come back the next day and track it once i have found the land owner and sought permission, a bit of faffing about but its all about the deers welfare !

90% of the time the poor bugger in on the side if the road, i never track at night its simply too dangerous and the rozzers have not got all night to sit about while im grubbing about on me hands and knees with the dog.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I always take my dog to when called out on RTA's but as has been said tracking at night is not to be recommended for safety reasons,
    we are working with Wiltshire police to see if they can find out the landowners contact details on any call out they get in the future so a follow up can be made should permission be given,
    The whole call out thing is a bit of a mess with some constabularies having a call out scheme and some not!

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

I don't attend RTA's (I attended a course years ago, but thought I'd leave it to more experienced individuals) but I thought that this vimeo might contribute to the conversation...it's in Danish, but a picture says a 1000 words

Schweissopgave efter prsel i trafikken on Vimeo

I enjoyed the video despite it being in Danish because I just love to see dogs working especially GWPs.
    However when the tracker crossed the road trailing the tracking lead behind him the thought crossed my mind what if it had been flicked up and caught on the underside of a passing car resulting in 40kg of GWP being hauled down the road at 60mph.

I'm not sure that I would have let the dog off the lead when the deer was spotted. What are your thoughts on that in this instance?
    Last edited by 8x57; 01-05-2016 at 14:30.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I enjoyed the video despite it being in Danish because I just love to see dogs working especially GWPs.
    However when the tracker crossed the road trailing the tracking lead behind him the thought crossed my mind what if it had been flicked up and caught on the underside of a passing car resulting in 40kg of GWP being hauled down the road at 60mph.

I'm not sure that I would have let the dog off the lead when the deer was spotted. What are your thoughts on that in this instance?
    Good question! on one hand you can say, it was appropriate because it worked, on the other you could say, he got away with it. You get the impression that that it was a pretty big block of forestry (and the road behind looked pretty quiet), plus being Denmark, the handler doesn't have to worry about property boundaries, and the handler could probably see the back leg flapping around and one assumes he knows what his dog is capable of so I would say it was a good call, although the fence probably helped the dog get the deer at bay so quickly.

I find that the temptation with GWP is to let them get on with it, and they are pretty handy and sensible...(my old one gets muntjac bucks by the back leg and lets me deal with the front end) but in the course of a working life I'm sure that it doesn't go right every time. If you know that the deer is hit hard, have a sensible area of exploitation why not. That said, I am beginning to lean to a softly softly approach - let the deer settle again, and then stalk in. I only have a handful of tracks where the deer has not been found dead so I can only say I am still reflecting on the best option and one think I think SD is great at is giving one access to multiple different opinions.

I was thinking that even with a broken leg the dog could have pushed the deer further afield so was wondering if it would have been better to take things as slow and calmly as possible. Like I say just wondering because its hard to get an impression of the real situation from a video clip.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.