Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD day/ night scopes...

HD day/ night scopes...

Simple question is it legal to shoot deer with an ATN X sight 2 during the day? Always believed it was illegal without a night licence, but read a post on super Facebook saying otherwise...sorry if this has been covered countless times before, but I couldn't find it, regards Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmart View Post
    Simple question is it legal to shoot deer with an ATN X sight 2 during the day? Always believed it was illegal without a night licence, but read a post on super Facebook saying otherwise...sorry if this has been covered countless times before, but I couldn't find it, regards Lee

No it's illegal I believe as its a digital sight

That's what I thought but read an e-mail someone had copied to a fb group from BASC saying otherwise....I will try and find it

Email mail back from BASC, with reference to shooting of Deer with Smart HD scopes... for those that wondered the legality in the UK.....

I can confirm, whilst your rifle scope is legal to have and mount on your rifle it may be used for day time shooting of deer and for night shooting. Whilst the scope is legal to mount and use. You would require a night shooting licence that allowed the use of this type of equipment for shooting deer one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.

Kind regards

Deer Officer
    The British Association for Shooting & Conservation
    Last edited by cowsmart; 29-04-2016 at 17:40.

Definitely illegal in Scotland - not sure about the rest of the UK.

Cheers

Bruce

Reason I ask is I've just acquired a .222 that I'm putting the X sight on for foxes..I have the .22-250 and .270 for deer so not that bothered...just clarifying that if the opportunity arose could I shoot a deer...in Scotland I add

Pardon my ignorance but the atn is a digital sight that can be used both night and day.

How does this make it illegal to use it for deer during normal daytime hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Vapours View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but the atn is a digital sight that can be used both night and day.

Possibly because it's digital rather than optical?

Quote Originally Posted by Vapours View Post

In Scotland at least, any sort of night vision device is not permitted for shooting deer.
    Since the X Sight can be used both day and night, it qualifies as a night vision device and is therefore not permitted.
    The law may be different in the rest of the UK and I'd certainly be interested to know if it is.

Cheers

Bruce

Just for the sake of discussion couldn't you argue that the X sight when used in daylight works in a slightly different way with no illumination, so at that time is simply a day sight then?
    Have there been any test cases or serious qualified legal opinions expressed on such scopes.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I doubt there has been any legal opinion or legal test of the proposition.
    My opinion is that because the X Sight (or the Drone Pro, or N870 etc) are specifically designed and sold as having a night vision capability, they would fall under the definition of a night vision device.
    I think the important word is "designed"
    In the same way that A Max are classed as target ammunition because they are not "designed" to expand in the way specified by the law.

Cheers

Bruce