Pitting on brand new DPT moderator

Hi All,

I'm Darren Toms the owner of DPT suppressors in new Zealand.

Its a funny thing with suppressors that can be dissembled (and probably a down side of them), some people do freak out with the first sign of wear.
The wear on the baffles does look normal.

See bellow a little snippet from our instructions that are supplied with each suppressor we sell.

"
After the first 20 or so rounds you may find pitting on the module closest to the muzzle , that is nothing to be concerned about as its the anodizing wearing off, after the initial pitting you will find it wont change much the next few hundred rounds, life expectancy of that module is around 2000 rounds on a 22 inch hunting rifle. To prolong the life of the modules, when cleaning don't clean the carbon off the front face of the modules as it protects it. Life expectancy of the suppressor can be improved by not getting it too hot, a good rule of thumb is an average of 60 rounds an hour and 30 rounds an hour with a protective sleeve on the suppressor (because it slows the heat dispersion).If stainless steel blast baffle is used the round count goes up to 90 rounds per hour without sleeve and 45 rounds per hour with sleeve."

I hope that puts your mind at rest. :)

Darren

Really good of you to take the time to respond. Very much appreciated, and your comments are reassuring.

Hi All,

I'm Darren Toms the owner of DPT suppressors in new Zealand.

Its a funny thing with suppressors that can be dissembled (and probably a down side of them), some people do freak out with the first sign of wear.
The wear on the baffles does look normal.

See bellow a little snippet from our instructions that are supplied with each suppressor we sell.

"
After the first 20 or so rounds you may find pitting on the module closest to the muzzle , that is nothing to be concerned about as its the anodizing wearing off, after the initial pitting you will find it wont change much the next few hundred rounds, life expectancy of that module is around 2000 rounds on a 22 inch hunting rifle. To prolong the life of the modules, when cleaning don't clean the carbon off the front face of the modules as it protects it. Life expectancy of the suppressor can be improved by not getting it too hot, a good rule of thumb is an average of 60 rounds an hour and 30 rounds an hour with a protective sleeve on the suppressor (because it slows the heat dispersion).If stainless steel blast baffle is used the round count goes up to 90 rounds per hour without sleeve and 45 rounds per hour with sleeve."

I hope that puts your mind at rest. :)

Darren

Hi Darren, PM sent. Cheers Jerry

Hi all,
I have a DPT on my 17 Hornet, ultra light and moderates extremely well. Its .20 cal but was a bargain deal when I bought it with the Rifle. Just as the RFD promised it works great. I have taken it apart and noticed pitting on the first baffle, but it doesn't bother me after reading the comments above.
Hammo

I would be inclined to replace the first baffle when you think it needs it, putting it at the front of the stack, and wait until the next one needs replacing. I concluded that rotating all the baffles in the stack would lead to all of them needing replacing at the same time, if I live long enough to see it. I've not got the stainless 'blast' baffle in the .223 DPT, but I have in the 7mm range rifle.

I'd just put it back together, tape up the outside with cammo tape, and go shooting (and sleep at night). Modeartors are made this way because production is cheaper. They are not meant to be cleaned. The manufacturers use the cleaning ability as a selling point over non stripable units.

Same here. Never taken apart or cleaned any of mine.

Back