Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: First Turtle dove

  1. #1

    First Turtle dove

    Heard my first Turtle dove of the year this morning whilst out with the dogs. I have been away with work for a week so they may have arrived up to 6 days ago?
    Who else has heard one so far this year and when did they arrive?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Heard my first Turtle dove of the year this morning whilst out with the dogs. I have been away with work for a week so they may have arrived up to 6 days ago?
    Who else has heard one so far this year and when did they arrive?
    Turtle Dove? They`re very rare nowadays.
    Surprised you would hear one at all.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

  3. #3
    Agreed basil. They nest amongst the blackthorn and elderberry bushes around the sewerage plant near where I live in Stowmarket. I will see and hear them every day now for a few months. I used to see and hear them all the time in my younger days as I'm sure we all did but not any more?
    Last edited by baguio; 30-04-2016 at 20:56.

  4. #4
    Heard and saw a Cuckoo near Romsey on Wednesday bet he wishes he had stayed in Africa, we used to have plenty of Doves but I'm lucky to see one a year now but plenty of Stone Curlew.
    Regards Terry

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Agreed basil. They nest amongst the blackthorn and elderberry bushes around the sewerage plant near where I live in Stowmarket. I will see and hear them every day now for a few months. I used to see an hear them all the time in my younger days as I'm sure we all did but not any more?
    I`ve only ever seen one. Sad that some of the childhood regulars don`t seem so common anymore.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

  6. #6
    Very jealous! Send one over our way please and I will send a few magpies over your way.....

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingback View Post
    Very jealous! Send one over our way please and I will send a few magpies over your way.....
    Sorry mate, no can do! I would happily send you a few of the magpies that frequent the same area though, just to give the doves a fighting chance of raising a brood or two! Surely you have room for a few more don't you?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I`ve only ever seen one. Sad that some of the childhood regulars don`t seem so common anymore.
    I wish they were rare Basil they wake me up every morning with their cooings. lol

  9. #9
    I havent seen one for ages. They used to be common in Shropshire when I was secondary school age but something has caused them to decline and is probably the cause of Chris Packham's depression and his unfounded, evangelistic, whining about turtle doves and Maltese shooters - see fieldsports TV this week and detailed article on Packham.

    lovely little birds, replaced by the collared dove which I gleefully control.

  10. #10
    I got one last year around my lake. First time I have seen one. It stayed all summer and befriended some collared doves. Got a good photo of it..take a look.

    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Warm Turtle Neck Embroidered Sweaters fro Hunting
    By stalkinginengland in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-10-2014, 10:47
  2. Turtle Doves big decrease in numbers
    By rick6point5 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-09-2013, 19:24
  3. Available Argentina Dove / Duck etc
    By JAYB in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15-06-2013, 09:09
  4. High volume Turtle Dove shooting?
    By Tackleberry270 in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-10-2012, 18:17
  5. turtle
    By johngryphon in forum Photos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-05-2012, 21:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •