Better illumination from T38 torch?

Effnjeff

I have a cheapy eBay T38 torch with white LED that I bought last year. I'd like to use is as a lamp on my rifle, but the beam even when focused is too broad and diffuse, and it shows a dark shadow in the centre. I understand that LED technology has moved on a bit recently with the latest pills offering better performance. I believe the latest LED chip is called "AS", is that correct?
Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to get a new 'pill' with the latest tech that I can screw directly into my T38?
Thanks in advance.

Hi G

i may have some pills in the garage,( I know I have ) but not sure they are for the t20/38 range, the AS pill you are thinking of is for NV IR illumination, if you are talking just white red or green LED I may have one here, I am off out soon but will let you know asap, I will be working at the castle tomorrow and out shooting on the estate as well so you could pop in for a coffee and a chat? and if I have one it's yours bud FOC,

bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the offer, that is very generous but I'm a bit too far to come down with kids in tow.
Ahh, so the AS only refers to the IR version? That explains why my Google searches aren't getting anywhere!
Is there an equivalent for the standard white version? I believe there might be an option that allows a tighter focus too but I'm out of my depth with illumination.

hi bud

i will have look for you,but I think that the normal pills are just that...normal :).

i had a few over the days and found that the t50 was great for just limping with, the t67 was to big and cumbersome for a old fart with a bad back,

i have just got a t38 AS IR and it's now fitted to a shooting buddies Drone, as said my pills where all for t50 but I am sure I may have a 20/38 in the pile,

if if that's the case then I'll post it up, I have to say that it's not normal that the pill is the issue rather the lens could be at fault with how the head of the torch has been assembled ?

bob.

Sorry, I'm probably getting confused with all the tech.
I think my torch is working as it should, but when focused as tight and sharp as possible the central square beam is still too wide to be of much use as a rifle lamp. Last night it was just whiting out the scope image with no real illumination of the target. The LED is an XML, but I believe there might be another called XRE which has a smaller spread. That said, I think you are right that the beam focus is general controlled by the lens with bigger ones giving a tighter beam.
Yes please do post and I'll cover costs. Will PM my address. Cheers!

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm probably getting confused with all the tech.
I think my torch is working as it should, but when focused as tight and sharp as possible the central square beam is still too wide to be of much use as a rifle lamp. Last night it was just whiting out the scope image with no real illumination of the target. The LED is an XML, but I believe there might be another called XRE which has a smaller spread. That said, I think you are right that the beam focus is general controlled by the lens with bigger ones giving a tighter beam.
Yes please do post and I'll cover costs. Will PM my address. Cheers!
Matt have a word with Scott his torches are like Gods Flashlight! see what pills he has in his.

I have a cheapy eBay T38 torch with white LED that I bought last year. I'd like to use is as a lamp on my rifle, but the beam even when focused is too broad and diffuse, and it shows a dark shadow in the centre.

this sounds like a lens issue not a pill issue
get a decent aspherical convex lens in the approriate size and you should get a solid square projection

I have two t38s for this purpose
one on my .222 and one on my .22

both will throw a 8-10ft square at around 180yds

It certainly could be a lens quality issue as my T38 was £17 including delivery from China, however the dark shadow in the projected image is in the shape of the circuitry of the LED itself, so it would seem an accurate sharp(ish) image is thrown. I understand the newer 'AS' Oslon IR LEDs don't have this shadow, so was hoping that perhaps there was an equivalent for the visible light LEDs.

hi matt

the only pills I have that I don't use are as follows,

1 x t20 IR three mode

3 x t50 pills red green and white,

sadly no t20 White,

bob.

It certainly could be a lens quality issue as my T38 was £17 including delivery from China, however the dark shadow in the projected image is in the shape of the circuitry of the LED itself, so it would seem an accurate sharp(ish) image is thrown. I understand the newer 'AS' Oslon IR LEDs don't have this shadow, so was hoping that perhaps there was an equivalent for the visible light LEDs.

surely the centre of the pill is the actual LED?
if there is a dark spot in the centre of the beam that would indicate the focal length of the unit is off
Don't think cost has much to do with it to be honest
mine weren't much more than £20-25

any pictures?

I have a cheapy eBay T38 torch with white LED that I bought last year. I'd like to use is as a lamp on my rifle, but the beam even when focused is too broad and diffuse, and it shows a dark shadow in the centre. I understand that LED technology has moved on a bit recently with the latest pills offering better performance. I believe the latest LED chip is called "AS", is that correct?
Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to get a new 'pill' with the latest tech that I can screw directly into my T38?
Thanks in advance.

Have a a look on here, should have what your looking for. Ludicrous-Lumens if you send an e-mail guys name is Andy, you get pretty prompt reply on any questions.

M

Thanks for info guys. I had a chat with Andy from Ludicrous Lumens, and there is indeed an XRE LED which has a tighter beam than my XML, so have ordered one. Apparently it's about quarter the area when focused.
I'll do before and after photos.

Thanks for info guys. I had a chat with Andy from Ludicrous Lumens, and there is indeed an XRE LED which has a tighter beam than my XML, so have ordered one. Apparently it's about quarter the area when focused.
I'll do before and after photos.

well done Andy,

i'm glad you got sorted, normal led stuff is not my thing,

bob

Back