Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako quad

sako quad

Changing barrels on the sako quad between 17hmr and 22lr,do you have to rezero scope all the time,thinking about buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Changing barrels on the sako quad between 17hmr and 22lr,do you have to rezero scope all the time,thinking about buying one.
    I don't own a Quad but i own 17HMR's and 22LR's and i think the answer is Yes. If there was no difference in trajectory between the 17HMR and the 22LR, why would you want to switch barrels?~Muir

Yes you would ,

you our have to remove the scope usually in the mounts to be able to remove the barrel

realistically your better off having two scopes set up one for each barrel and have a picatinny rail where you can re attach each scope in the correct place

I've got a Sako Quad in .17HMR. They are an excellent rifle. I think at one time there was a scope for use on this rifle that had a system that would let you change barrels and not have to go through the faff of re-zeroing every time. From memory it was a Burris I think. So if you want to go down this route then that may be worth looking at. Whether they sell them new still, seeing as the Quad is discontinued I don't know. How effective this system is, I don't know either, but recall reading mixed reviews.

I think most people came to the conclusion that it was just easier to have two rifles, as just picking the one you wanted out of the cabinet was much simpler than having to change barrels. I rather think that Sako came to the same conclusion too, hence they now offer the new Finnfire instead of the Quad. The Finnfire being pretty similar to the Quad, but without the interchangeable barrels.
    Last edited by Pedro; 01-05-2016 at 14:13.

AAh. I remember, it's a Burris Fullfield II scope, that features four resettable dials, so that you swap the barrel and then just chose the dial for the previously zeroed calibre.

Would recommend googling the Burris scope however, which I did when first reading about the scope. From vague recollection, user feedback on the scope suggested it was great in theory, but tended not to work too well in practice.
    Tim

for two barrels its an easy fix
    one scope - two settings, just record the windage and elevation figure (target turrets likely a better option)

I have 5 barrels though
    now have QR mounts and a scope for each and one .22 with a fixed scope

1) you shouldn't need to remove a scope to switch barrels...unless you have mounted it far too close
    2) don't touch the burris scope. its ****!
    3) if you set a QR system either on a DIP style pic rail or dedicated mounts you shouldn't have to chamge zero each time
    i dont check my zero between barrel swaps any more, or very occasionally, never off enough to justify altering them

Been reading more on the quad that there,s issues with ejecting the 22lr spent cases and rounds,anyone had any problems with this.

Got a brand new one about 10 months ago. I love mine it has been very good,only had a problem once with some very waxy 'SK Magazine' ammunition failing to eject every time, (good bulk ammo but so waxy it leaves a coating on your fingers) but even this is fine if you operate the bolt briskly and give it a clean after a shooting session. I have the varmint and have found it very accurate and reliable. I have 22 and 17 hmr barrels and manage ok swapping barrels, and recording the scope turret settings. I use SAKO rimfire mounts and optilock rings and mark the position of the mounts with masking tape so they go back in the same place but picitinny would probably be better. I have also read about the 10 round mags not feeding reliably when full but both mine work faultlessly so either I have been lucky or SAKO have fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    Been reading more on the quad that there,s issues with ejecting the 22lr spent cases and rounds,anyone had any problems with this.
    only with some ammo and very easy fix
    10 seconds with a small file if you still want to use the sticky ammo

Sako Quad Extractor claw modification