Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Swap

Moderator Swap

Hi

i have a 30 cal mae moderator which is on my fac as reflex moderator with no serial number. If i wish to change this for a 6mm moderator either with somebody wanting to do the other way swap or in a rfd is that legal? Or do i need to sell, apply for 1 for 1 variation then buy?

Legally option 2 is the way to do it.

If there's no serial number or calibre marked on your moderator and no serial number or calibre marked on the other persons moderator then who's to know if you swapped or not?

Cheers

Bruce

I thought this could be done as a simple swap. As long as you are holding only one mod and as it has no noted serial number to trace.

Interested to hear from an RFD on this one and of course maybe I will be educated on the legal position.

risky ground to play with that like, dont want to be getting caught you will lose everything, option 2 a 1 for 1 with your local force should be the only way to go surely ??

Redneck as the others have already said legally it can't be done by just a simple swap, it should involve a 1-4-1 by both of you. However as Jimmy says if neither has any identifying marks and you don't go shouting about it or advertising the fact on the internet who would be any the wiser.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Redneck as the others have already said legally it can't be done by just a simple swap, it should involve a 1-4-1 by both of you. However as Jimmy says if neither has any identifying marks and you don't go shouting about it or advertising the fact on the internet who would be any the wiser.
    Which in my opinion makes a mockery of the need to have moderators on your FAC in the first place. To anybody without a rifle to attach it to, it is a useless bit of titanium. Not even worthy of a tate modern paper weight! In our health and safety (over) conscious island, these pieces of metal should be available without the need to be on FAC.

I don't know about mockery Brimfire but the legislation regarding moderators is pretty hopeless if you simply want to keep such devices out of the hands of the naughty boys. After all they can be made easy enough or an improvised moderator can be knocked up in 10 minutes using household items.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

You can get one at Halfords for around 5 quid..... saves the hassle of making one and it is threaded for you! Just punch your custom size hole in the end of it. Firearms law sometimes can be described as something that sounds like 'brambles'.