Moderator Swap

Ah8217bris

Hi

i have a 30 cal mae moderator which is on my fac as reflex moderator with no serial number. If i wish to change this for a 6mm moderator either with somebody wanting to do the other way swap or in a rfd is that legal? Or do i need to sell, apply for 1 for 1 variation then buy?

If there's no serial number or calibre marked on your moderator and no serial number or calibre marked on the other persons moderator then who's to know if you swapped or not?

Cheers

Bruce

I thought this could be done as a simple swap. As long as you are holding only one mod and as it has no noted serial number to trace.

Interested to hear from an RFD on this one and of course maybe I will be educated on the legal position.

risky ground to play with that like, dont want to be getting caught you will lose everything, option 2 a 1 for 1 with your local force should be the only way to go surely ??

Redneck as the others have already said legally it can't be done by just a simple swap, it should involve a 1-4-1 by both of you. However as Jimmy says if neither has any identifying marks and you don't go shouting about it or advertising the fact on the internet who would be any the wiser. ;)

Redneck as the others have already said legally it can't be done by just a simple swap, it should involve a 1-4-1 by both of you. However as Jimmy says if neither has any identifying marks and you don't go shouting about it or advertising the fact on the internet who would be any the wiser. ;)

Which in my opinion makes a mockery of the need to have moderators on your FAC in the first place. To anybody without a rifle to attach it to, it is a useless bit of titanium. Not even worthy of a tate modern paper weight! In our health and safety (over) conscious island, these pieces of metal should be available without the need to be on FAC.

I don't know about mockery Brimfire but the legislation regarding moderators is pretty hopeless if you simply want to keep such devices out of the hands of the naughty boys. After all they can be made easy enough or an improvised moderator can be knocked up in 10 minutes using household items.

You can get one at Halfords for around 5 quid..... saves the hassle of making one and it is threaded for you! Just punch your custom size hole in the end of it. Firearms law sometimes can be described as something that sounds like 'brambles'.

Am sat back interested in this one.....any RFDs on here can offer opinion? Anybody done this sort of swap beforehand?

I asked an rfd the same question last week. I have an unmarked mod on my .243. No serial number or calibre marked on it, although it measures .30
I am thinking of swapping it for another design, and he said he would be quite happy to swap my unmarked mod with another unmarked mod, without any 1-4-1 and no paper trail.
Maybe not quite legal I suppose, but I'm simple reporting here what he said.

I don't know about mockery Brimfire but the legislation regarding moderators is pretty hopeless if you simply want to keep such devices out of the hands of the naughty boys. After all they can be made easy enough or an improvised moderator can be knocked up in 10 minutes using household items.

not to mention you can buy parts of a Modular moderator with no licence as spares etc
so can buy all the parts for a wild cat Evolution legally with no FAC or Proof marks (not that Legally speaking Mods need proof) and they can post them to you No RFD needed

they do need taking of ticket its jsut a smartie Tube and SAKS that are sold off ticket for airguns are identical to the ones for Rimfire you do need on ticket

Am sat back interested in this one.....any RFDs on here can offer opinion? Anybody done this sort of swap beforehand?

With the greatest of respect to the knowledgeable RFDs and there are a one or two about, I wouldn't accept someone's word on the legality of it just because they have a RFD ticket. I know of several RFD's whose knowledge on firearms and firearms law is sadly lacking, nay simply abysmal. Listening to them can get you in a whole shed load of trouble.
I won't go into detail but I was discussing with a fellow rifle club member on Friday evening his recent bulk purchase of bullets from a local RFD. Fortunately the club member had done nothing wrong but the advise given by the RFD was absolutely wrong. There have been several other similar incidents that I have witnessed recently but fortunately there have been others around that were able to advise correctly before any harm was done.

Last edited:

OOOkay RFD's just form a single line to tell us all how you don't adhere strictly to the law. No pushing now.......Anybody? Thought not. Of course it's easier to just swap moderators(no doubt with some money involved) and really, where's the harm?

Well the harm comes if you get found out. Not something that's very likely to happen, but I don't understand the need to take the risk, however small. You may or may not get a slap on the wrist if you are found out (possessing firearm without a license is, in effect what it'll be) , but both you and the RFD will be down as someone who does not stick to the law. So don't complain if it's bye bye certificates. It's a bit like those threads that say "Do I really have to tell them about all my convictions?". I get the feeling that there are some people who just like taking unnecessary risks.

But, having said this before and being by no means alone, the legal situation regarding moderators is silly.

When I bought my last mod from a local dealer he was saying that there is sum thing circling in the firearms depart ment that in marked mods will be issued a number and need to be engraved wether it will cum of I don't no so Anser is find a good dealer u can trust do it quick and say **** all and it it dose cum in then ur ahead of the game

Legally you need a variation, simple as that. Is it worth risking your ticket to try and get one over on the system?

Well the harm comes if you get found out. Not something that's very likely to happen, but I don't understand the need to take the risk, however small. You may or may not get a slap on the wrist if you are found out (possessing firearm without a license is, in effect what it'll be) , but both you and the RFD will be down as someone who does not stick to the law. So don't complain if it's bye bye certificates.
[/QUOTE]

Spot on Pedro!
Everyone should be aware that it would be relatively easy to prove illegal supply/transfers by a simple audit of the RFD and his supplier's business records.

Please do not be lead into a false sense of security by the fact that no serial numbers etc. are on your moderator and firearm certificate.

Any RDF who is doing this must have taken leave of his senses, as if caught it would be goodbye to RFD, business, livelihood.

Also be aware that the standard of proof required to justify revocation of a RFD or Firearm Certificate is 'on a balance of probabilities', not as in criminal cases 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. So in theory, 51% chance that an illegal transfer occurred is sufficient to lose the certificate....... A grim prospect simply to avoid applying for a 1 for 1 (free) variation.:eek:

I have a riflecraft 30 cal moderator on my 243 and it's LOUD
I recently got a 22-250 and fitted a calibre specific DPT moderator for it and it's much much quieter.
I really think that having a moderator with an exit hole as close as possible to the diameter of the bullet makes it much quieter.

Cheers

Bruce

Back