Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 70gn ballistic tip - H4895 max load ???

.243 70gn ballistic tip - H4895 max load ???

anyone got nosler manual - whats max load published for 70gn btip with h4895?

Hodgdons report 39.5gr Max.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i reload 39gr slight pressure signs but aftab said looked ok. this is seriously accurate and i use it on deer and fox.

Nosler manual doesn't quote for H4895 only IMR4895 - 36g to 40g max
    Only Hodgden powder it quotes for the 70g are H380 - 40g to 44g max
    H414 - 43.5 to 47.5g max

Have a look at stevespages.com which quotes a load range of 31.9 to 40g using H4895 with a 70g bullet

thanks - i think i'll start at 39 and work up!!

Hodgdon's -the guys who make the powder and actually use a pressure gun to determine pressures, not a computer module- lists max at 39.5 grains and you'll start at 39?? Ever see a reloading manual say "Start at half grain under Maximum and work up?" No. They usually say to start 5% under minimum and work up from there. Sorry Amigo, Bad move.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 11-06-2010 at 00:17. Reason: foolishness

totally understand what your saying Muir but i've already used the same gun/bullet with other powders and they all work best at max. i use the h4895 with other bullets in the same rifle and theyre all at max or +. the man in the bullet shop says ignore the reccomendation to start low, you dont want to be down there!! (and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection )

with a new gun/powder/bullet i would always start low (ish)!!

anyway, the guns a R93 - theres a little spring piece of metal that stops the bolt from flying backwards so i'm sure it will be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    totally understand what your saying Muir but i've already used the same gun/bullet with other powders and they all work best at max. i use the h4895 with other bullets in the same rifle and theyre all at max or +. the man in the bullet shop says ignore the reccomendation to start low, you dont want to be down there!! (and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection )

with a new gun/powder/bullet i would always start low (ish)!!

anyway, the guns a R93 - theres a little spring piece of metal that stops the bolt from flying backwards so i'm sure it will be ok
    I suspect this is said a little tongue in cheek but it does come across a little harsh

pete

taken from urban dictionary

Some call "hick" derogatory, but if you watch closely you will see:

1) A person can say hick if they are one.
    2) A person who has gotten away with saying hick, should think long and hard before typing it (OMG, what have I done?)
    3) A person can say hick and mean it in the most loving way.
    4) A person can have hick said about them and feel proud and loved!...

So "hick" is a bipolar term - it can be swung either way. Which leads me to the last and most important observation:
    5) The number of empty beer cans strewn around where hick is said is directly proportional to the reaction provoked, either negative or positive, either a punch in the nose or a smothering, slobbering hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    ...and he is a real person, not just some hick from the hills with too many guns and a broadband connection )
    [B]
    Ouch, that hurt.

Muir, ignore him. He knows no better.

He's from West Berkshire where we are strong in the arm and thick in the 'ead.
    KevinF -