Thread: What weight Roe bucks

What weight Roe bucks

Hi all, just wondering what is you largest (dressed out) roe buck weight that you have shot?
    I am just interested as I have shot a lot of roe over my 25 years of stalking and around the 43lb mark has been the heaviest until the other evening when I shot a decent buck, it spent 24 hours in the chiller and then when weighed it went to 49.5lb! I was so shocked I confirmed it on 3 different sets of scales and all gave the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    Hi all, just wondering what is you largest (dressed out) roe buck weight that you have shot?
    I am just interested as I have shot a lot of roe over my 25 years of stalking and around the 43lb mark has been the heaviest until the other evening when I shot a decent buck, it spent 24 hours in the chiller and then when weighed it went to 49.5lb! I was so shocked I confirmed it on 3 different sets of scales and all gave the same weight.
    The biggest roe buck I ever shat was on the black isle maybe ten years ago - 26kg larder weight - he was a big boy - unfortunately the head ornaments were not a big!!!!

two biggest bucks I shot were a few years back right at the very end of the season, both together, one was a spiker with one antler already cast and the other was a silver medal. the silver was 48lb and the spiker was 49. what a carry out that was. still haven't cracked the 50lb yet myself but seen a bcuk a friend shot at 53lb

Just gone through last ten years cull records and the biggest Roe buck was 22kg[48.5lbs]. Biggest Fallow buck was 72.5kg[159.5lbs] and the biggest Muntjac buck was 13kg[29.5lbs]

I have a letter in front of me from Richard Prior, dated 25th May 1982, regards a roebuck that had went into the Perth game dealers "Bands". I had shot, and Richard was doing work on the weights of roebucks at the time.
    It had a shipping weight ( cleaned out less head, neck, and lower limbs) of 51lbs at the game dealers. Richard put this down as follows :
    Live weight 100%
    Clean 82%
    Quite clean 76%
    Shipping weight 61.5 %
    Venison 55%
    His letter says, At 51lbs shipping weight your buck certainly is quite extraordinarily heavy, probably weighing in the vicinity of 82lbs live weight, 68lbs clean, or 62lbs quite clean.
    The largest buck of which I have a note weighed 89.5 lbs live weight, this from the south of England. Yours is the heaviest I have heard on from Scotland.

The buck in question was neck shot with a .270 rifle, which removed more weight., and had a silver medal head.

This was over 30 years ago, and with the increase in winter crops now grown, and deer coming to steal from pheasant feeders, or being fed on the land, I would think the weights of roe will be on the increase, just as all this high protein is producing bigger heads every year, the carcase weights will have improved.

The last four Roe Bucks culled on our ground on 17 April 2016 were 18 kg, 20 kg, 21 kg and 23 kg.
    The winter although very wet has been mild and the cover didn't die back so there's been plenty to eat with the browse and pheasant feeders. The heaviest Roe Buck in my cull records is 25 kg (55 lbs?) in April 2006 in Cornwall
    Last edited by awmc; 04-05-2016 at 05:14. Reason: Forgot one

45lb for me usually around 30lb mark

50lb Buck and a 54lb doe. Decent size so far this season with heaviest weighing in at 43lb.

Biggest buck for me was 46lbs larder weight ,
    there's been a noticeable rise in weight for the last few seasons on the ground I shoot with quiet a few a season over 40 lbs

I grassed one youngster tonight with odd antlers all twisted and in velvet but only 11kg.