Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5*47 Lapua, any other users

6.5*47 Lapua, any other users

Hi,
    I currently use a 6.5 *47 lapua 5.5lbs stripped out 8.2lbs scoped up and moderated.
    It has a 20 inch ultra light barrel profile and shoots .35 inch avg. groups (3 shot) .48 inch avg. groups (5 shot) with 120 gr BTs.
    Standard Rem 700 action bedded into a Mcmillan Hunters Edge stock.

I have found it to be an excellent combo, saving in wieght over other rifles without sacrificing accuracy. The rifle work was done by PRS.

Anyone else out there using a 6.5*47 hunting rifle?

Seriously looked at one as a semi custom job on a Ruger .308 action I had. A freind of ours uses one to deverstating effect on reds and sika. I rather like the round, will hopefully have one some day...

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I am sure you won't be dissapointed. I have used mine on Roe, Red and Sika as well as some casual long range varminting and have not been dissapointed.

I've never used the cartridge; so forgive me if I'm dead wrong here:

Isn't it essentially identical in performance to 6.5x55 except it can be used in .308 sized actions?

Just finished a Win Model 70, rebarreled in 6.5x47 for my Scotland rifle so I dont have to lug one on a plane! I know of several users and they love it if you can get them to reload and shoot. Very accuarate and packs a hell of a punch on all Deer.

Balistic performance is virtually the same as 6.5*55 per given barrell length. You will find however that they use less powder with less felt recoil and have a significant advantage with the lighter bullet wieghts (due to powder selection). Greater flexibility with bullet seating depth in the lighter bullet wieghts also, given standard throating on the 6.5*55.

6.5*55 is an excellent calibre no doubt and has an enviable reputation for slinging out heavy bullets at moderate velocities whilst maintaining accuracy but given the spp. we have here and the potential to build an accurate light wieght rifle I think I prefer the 6.5*47.

Just for the record I also have a .260 and have also tried 6.5-284 Norma (too much of a good thing for me) as well as the old 6.5*55.

Oh, there was one other very significant advantage over the 6.5*55 I forgot to mention.

Case Trimming, it is virtually non existent with the 6.5*47, I can get 10 plus reloadings from a case without the need for trimming.

Well now my interest is certainly piqued! How does it work with heavier bullets, 9g+? And does it allow allow for shorter barrel lenghts than 6.5x55?

Sorry for asking all these questions here

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Just finished a Win Model 70, rebarreled in 6.5x47 for my Scotland rifle so I dont have to lug one on a plane! I know of several users and they love it if you can get them to reload and shoot. Very accuarate and packs a hell of a punch on all Deer.
    Hi Buddy

FLO will be here a week on monday, once the variation is done I might have to give that 6.5X47 some extensive testing for you.

ATB

Tahr