Thread: .221 Fireball

.221 Fireball

Anyone out there got a .221 Fireball that they use on Roe/Fox.
    How are they for handloading/accuracy?

How will the shorter .221 case feed from the standard short action magazine I am thinking specifically Sako 75 here (.223 in its previous life).

Thinking about a new project.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Don't know to much about it, but I don't think it's Deer legal.......Would be more than suitable for fox though.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

wildman, I would suggest contacting Callum Ferguson or Russell Gall to see if they have any recent customers who have got one of these.
    http://www.rgrifles.com/index.html
    http://www.precisionrifles.com/index.htm
    Rgds JCS

Already spoke at length with Callum over the last couple of years about it. Just wondered if there was any one out there actually using one.
    I don't know Russell Gall.

As for deer legal, it will be for Roe in Scotland with a 50gr bullet.
    Last edited by wildman; 08-06-2010 at 18:55.

The 221 Fireball just falls short of being Roe legal by the width of a Boars hair. I used one for a few seasons and took a variety of quarry with it. Extremly accurate with 32g,40g or 50g projectiles.
    Put it like this it killed everything i pointed it at,lol.
    Though to be honest go for the 222. Its nice to be different and i can understand the intrest that you have with it if only to be different??
    But i can assure you here and now that you wont be the first to test this little calibre to its limits. There`s guy`s that have already been there seen it and done it with little tool

Scarlet, the one thats asleep in the background, is he waiting for the starting pistol?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

That one died in his sleep finnboy

It would not be illegal in Scotland.

50gr bullet doing 2,450 fps.
    The .221 fireball will exceed that easily.

Take it from me Wildboy i use to run my Fireball on hot loads and looking back now i have`nt a clue why??
    I lost count of primers that got blown out and case`s that got stuck in the neck of the barrel. Due to the fact that the case had expanded that much the extraction claw on the bolt use to slip over the rim of the case. You see those Remington case`s are quite delicate aswell as hard to obtain.
    The 50g projectiles were compressed loads @ approximatly **.*g of powder thats why you`d be better with a larger cased calibre because you wont get much more in a fire formed fireball case.

Last edited by Scarlet; 12-06-2010 at 15:35. Reason: talking ********

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Take it from me Wildboy i use to run my Fireball on hot loads and looking back now i have`nt a clue why??
    I lost count of primers that got blown out and case`s that got stuck in the neck of the barrel. Due to the fact that the case had expanded that much the extraction claw on the bolt use to slip over the rim of the case. You see those Remington case`s are quite delicate aswell as hard to obtain.
    The 50g projectiles were compressed loads @ approximatly **.*g of powder thats why you`d be better with a larger cased calibre because you wont get much more in a fire formed fireball case.

Seriously? You used to to run loads that hot? I hope you've seen the error of your ways!~Muir