Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hornet users - what scope?

17 hornet users - what scope?

Hi guys,

Thinking about getting a new scope for my hornet. I use a 3-9x50 cheap simmons on mine at the moment and whilst it's alright and holds zero I get a lot of reflection / glare from behind in the eyepiece if lighter behind that what I'm shooting into. And I've been spoilt I think by having docter and S+B on my stalking rifles. Also finding it's not enough mag and the ret too thick for 200 odd m bunnies.

What sort of thing should I go for? Was thinking of 4-500 quid maybe. Something like a Nikon monarch or a Vortex? What mag range to go for and would you bother with target turrets?

Cheers

A Vortex scope with a max mag of 20 would be good. No idea of pricing or Vortex specific models but a 5-20x50 with adj turret for elevation would be a good spec.

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    A Vortex scope with a max mag of 20 would be good. No idea of pricing or Vortex specific models but a 5-20x50 with adj turret for elevation would be a good spec.
    Thanks. Are vortex reckoned to be any good? How would it compare in low light to a Schmidt?

I've got two Vortex 4-16x50 scopes on my 22LR and 17 Hornet both of the "cheap" Crossfire type. The one on the Hornet is the older model and the LR gets the Mark II which has nicer knobs...
    Scopes excellent quality for 200'ish and seem robust and repeatable. No probs popping bunnies at 200m or targets out to 600 with the right bullet.

I've got a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 with regular hunting turrets on mine that seems quite well suited to the cartridge.
    I was using a Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 AO mildot that was very nice too, but now for sale.

Do you reckon the 6-20 ish range rather than 4-16 ish then?

I suppose it's just my preference, but I actually prefer 6-24ish if the optics are of sufficient quality to magnify that high.
    The 17 Hornet is perhaps a 300 yard rifle on a perfect day, and rabbits look very small at that range so I like as much mag as reasonably possible.

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Do you reckon the 6-20 ish range rather than 4-16 ish then?
    I'd stick to the lower range if you're mainly a hunter. I've a couple higher mag but I found them less than useful in low light. Personally, I don't think you can beat the S&B 8x56 for hunting to 300m but to each their own.

Reserection for those who are interested. Sightron Stac 17.5 x 56 , fine reticle and dot great for 300yd rabbits anything less and you'll be struggling. Good in low light. You need to be able to dial in to make the most of this caliber.

I can report that I have a bushnell lrhs 3-12x44 which I actually thing is perfect. Damn good scope and have been mailing rabbits out to 250m no probs with the help of applied ballistics app.