Staffordshire Police Firearms.

old man

Well done to all in the team, posted ticket for a 1 4 1 on 26th April, returned today!

Brilliant service!

Drop in change of address and variation forms 2 days ago, got told it should be turned around in a matter of days rather than weeks which would be nice.

West Mids / Staffs sent me out temporary permits to possess within a week of submitting my renewal paperwork, current etc. for receipt of a renewal is about three months. so far so good.
apparently much longer in West Mercia... who were not issuing temporary permits but have been told to do so..

I sent in a variation to Staffs, it took a week or 2 to be contacted, but the first thing out of the FEO's mouth was an apology for the delay.

It's a bit of a different variation to the usual, but he was very happy to have a chat and I don't think that I will be denied it.

By the sounds of it Staffs should give lessons to other constabularies in how to work.

hi Orion, I'm looking forward to the 25th of May when my section 5 expanding ammunition becomes an issue!!!!
I presume they have asked you to hand yours in?

hi Orion, I'm looking forward to the 25th of May when my section 5 expanding ammunition becomes an issue!!!!
I presume they have asked you to hand yours in?

Not personally, it didn't get to that stage, although there were other issues including a totally unwarranted partial revocation that had me severely bending the ear of the FLD manager! :D

Others on here have been given the run around by their FLDs over the S.7 Permit/S.5 ammo issue and even used the fact to good effect in speeding up their renewals once they kicked up about it. Have a look at some of the threads in this section of the forum, including: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/112227-UPDATE-TVP-FAC-SGC-Renewals

Good luck with yours, I hope it doesn't become too much of a grind.

I sent in a variation to Staffs, it took a week or 2 to be contacted, but the first thing out of the FEO's mouth was an apology for the delay.

It's a bit of a different variation to the usual, but he was very happy to have a chat and I don't think that I will be denied it.

By the sounds of it Staffs should give lessons to other constabularies in how to work.

Sounds interesting? Would you care to elaborate on your variation?, been waiting 4 months for my variation to get told that the feo has now gone on holiday! Well done to staffs, other constabularies need to take note!

Sounds interesting? Would you care to elaborate on your variation?, been waiting 4 months for my variation to get told that the feo has now gone on holiday! Well done to staffs, other constabularies need to take note!

A 375 for self defense against polar bears on arctic expeditions. I've also asked for it to be conditioned for uk AOLQ.

I've had 2 previous trips to Greenland and I'm planning a kayak / wild camping trip to Svalbard at the mo. In Svalbard it's a lagal requirement to be able to deter bears and the advise to be well armed. If you aren't equipped appropriatly you may get picked up by chopper, billed, fined and will struggle to get an exped permit in the future.

A 375 for self defense against polar bears on arctic expeditions. I've also asked for it to be conditioned for uk AOLQ.

I've had 2 previous trips to Greenland and I'm planning a kayak / wild camping trip to Svalbard at the mo. In Svalbard it's a lagal requirement to be able to deter bears and the advise to be well armed. If you aren't equipped appropriatly you may get picked up by chopper, billed, fined and will struggle to get an exped permit in the future.

Fair play that is a bit of an unusual request! I know from experience that 375 use in the uk can be difficult to get but its not impossible, best of luck with your expedition!

yep, I'm giving them a little time to sort out the application then I may have to lodge the expanding ammo with a friendly RFD, I presume this would only apply to assembled ammunition?

375 for polar bear.. good luck with that one.. I remember a tail being told by an old club mate that the had applied for a .375H&H and a .416 Rigby for an African trip some 25 years ago, which he was duly given the slots to purchase without any problems. he bought both rifles at auction shortly afterwards and still has them to this day in his possession with a condition that they are to be used outside the UK only. both rifles are still on his EFP, which would get him to Norway. could that be a solution for both you and the FLO?

sorry just checked Norway is not in the EU...

Last edited:
yep, I'm giving them a little time to sort out the application then I may have to lodge the expanding ammo with a friendly RFD, I presume this would only apply to assembled ammunition?

No such luck I'm afraid - S.5 bullets/missiles on their own are also classified as 'ammunition', so the same criteria applies as to complete expanding rounds.

375 for polar bear.. good luck with that one.. I remember a tail being told by an old club mate that the had applied for a .375H&H and a .416 Rigby for an African trip some 25 years ago, which he was duly given the slots to purchase without any problems. he bought both rifles at auction shortly afterwards and still has them to this day in his possession with a condition that they are to be used outside the UK only. both rifles are still on his EFP, which would get him to Norway. could that be a solution for both you and the FLO?

Once something like .375 or 9.3x62 are granted with the primary 'good reason' being overseas use, it shouldn't be a problem in getting them conditioned for Deer and AOLQ in the UK - there are a host of good references already contained in the HO Guidance that can be used to support an application. Ditto for the ridiculous refusal of some FLDs to grant expanding ammo and it's use in these rifles in the UK - even if it is only for zeroing/practice. A request detailing the need for zeroing and practice to become familiar with the rifle before going up against animals that just might take exception to being shot at, (and have the means to retaliate to the max), should carry some weight. And that's not to mention bringing in the animal welfare issue of being able to use expanding - or is it just in the UK that a humane kill is required?

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread.

My EFP is good enough for Svalbard. I have that in writing (email) from the government.

I don't forsee any problems, but I've highlighted the appropriate section in the HO guide and will have photos available of my last 2 trips to prove intent for future trips.

I explained that I'll need the ability to zero / train as any they need to be close to justify a shooting and that by then it WILL be life and death. He was very receptive to this too.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

My EFP is good enough for Svalbard. I have that in writing (email) from the government.

I don't forsee any problems, but I've highlighted the appropriate section in the HO guide and will have photos available of my last 2 trips to prove intent for future trips.

I explained that I'll need the ability to zero / train as any they need to be close to justify a shooting and that by then it WILL be life and death. He was very receptive to this too.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

An interesting thread swerve nonetheless!

Given the tragic circumstances surrounding the bear attack on the 2011 BSES trip, and the findings of the review carried out by Sir David Steel (unfamilarity with the rifle and lack of practice being contributory factors) it would appear that you have excellent grounds to request use of the rifle and expanding ammo in the UK.

It would of course add a bit more weight if you have UK access to the larger deer species or boar, but as the current HO Guidance now includes 'practice' as part of the standard use condition, then you must be almost there for UK use of expanding anyway.

An interesting thread swerve nonetheless!

Given the tragic circumstances surrounding the bear attack on the 2011 BSES trip, and the findings of the review carried out by Sir David Steel (unfamilarity with the rifle and lack of practice being contributory factors) it would appear that you have excellent grounds to request use of the rifle and expanding ammo in the UK.

It would of course add a bit more weight if you have UK access to the larger deer species or boar, but as the current HO Guidance now includes 'practice' as part of the standard use condition, then you must be almost there for UK use of expanding anyway.

I mentioned the BSES incident in my covering letter. And that on my first trip to Greenland we were lent a .222 :doh: so I'm not happy to risk sorting stuff out there on arrival.

I've asked for deer and aolq in the UK in line with the guidance. I have a 308 on an open ticket so at least they have already decided that I'm fit to be trusted with a gun over land.

I don't have any land at the moment as I've been at uni for 6 years so haven't had much time / money. I'm hoping to fix that when I graduate this summer. Fingers crossed when I move to Cumbria in a couple of months I can find a farmer with a problem etc.

Back