Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apple and plum tree

apple and plum tree

Evening all,having had an apple tree bought for my 40TH off my son in November. It has taken well and is producing plenty of flowers,but I am worried about the amount of fruit it might produce as the branches don't look strong enough to hold 1 apple let alone a bunch!
    I also have a Victoria plum tree that was planted the same time and looks a few years behind the apple tree.
    Is a wierd shape with long branches down low.Should these be trimmed off to allow the tree to grow up as opposed to a bush?
    Again the branches are really thin and could never hold a pub let alone a bunch!
    Seeking the green fingered experts on how best to look after the trees.
    thanks
    dave
    Ps
    some pictures of the trees.Attachment 69842

Let it flower and the fruit form.
    Not all the flowers will take.
    Every 4 weeks go round the trees and take out any wilted or malformed fruit.
    As it gets closer to harvest, you should be able to work out better which fruits will be the best and keep these whilst reducing the numbers in general.
    Also remember the branches themselves will be growing through the season and capable of holding more weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	578.1 KB 
ID:	69845

This is was my dad's garden the year after he passed away. The tree nearest is a plum tree with the branches having down.
    From where the photo was taken to the telegraph pole is 30m and where I learnt to shoot with my air rifles - oh happy days

Rather than try to explain with words - google fruit tree pruning. With an apple pruned to the correct form, and without weak crotches, they can support almost unbelievable amounts of fruit.

The type of tree in the first photo should be grown against a fence or trellis, the branches should be tied back. The apple tree will be fine as it is only remove inwardly growing branches to let more light in.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    The type of tree in the first photo should be grown against a fence or trellis, the branches should be tied back. The apple tree will be fine as it is only remove inwardly growing branches to let more light in.
    +1 for the first tree you want to attach some horizontal wires to the wall and fence and then train the branches along them.

Hi,

Well had quite a bit of experience in this. Firstly buy Ken Muirs fruit book its a goldmine of information and very good on pruning, easy to follow. If you want to train the tree agaist the wall then you need to have to make a frame work of parallel wires and tie in the laterals to canes, this need to be at an angle say 30 degress to allow shoots to grow and you slowly lower them down to horizontal at the end of the growing season. Thus you then end up with the lateral tied into the wire. Difficult to explain. PM me your e mail and I will send you some pictures of mine.

Ken Muir book will give you all the details about fruit thinning remember there will be a June drop so alot of fruit will fall off quite normally.

D

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    +1 for the first tree you want to attach some horizontal wires to the wall and fence and then train the branches along them.
    Yes, the OP should do a search on "Espalier" - as you say, these type of trees are designed such that the branches are trained horizontally along a wall or fence.

Edit: see Espalier training trees/RHS Gardening
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 06-05-2016 at 10:17. Reason: Found a link to the RHS
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Firstly buy Ken Muirs fruit book its a goldmine of information and very good on pruning, easy to follow.
    +1 - the bible of fruit growing!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Wow thanks for all the replys fellas!I will certainly do a bit more research and send a couple of pm's.
    I am a bit dissapointed as I thought I bought the plum tree as a stand alone tree and not one that requires training along wires.My neighbour had a Victoria plum tree a few years ago and I was hoping it would be the same but it seems like mine is not going to be a tree.
    Thanks again gents
    dave

Worth checking the varieties you have been given are self-fertile otherwise you will need another tree of the same type. I would trim the lower branches as I would prefer a tree, but again, your variety, if googled, would indicate a tree or a cordon trained variety. Either way a hefty crop of plums will take off branches with excess weight. With mine, I cut some hazel rods with forks and used them to support the branches if they became overly heavy with fruit. They will however grow enough to carry more. Just about to plant a new set of trees and will get the book recommended above - I'm to late in life to learn by experience !