Thread: Judge agrees Minister should consider the needs of badgers

Judge agrees Minister should consider the needs of badgers

Brockophiles win an appeal against the battle to eradicate bovine TB in West Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_a...t/10270111.stm

The compensation paid to Welsh farmers who lose their livestock to TB is costing the tax payer around 10million a year yet these do-goody incomers believe they know better.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

wot makes me mad
    is the other day a respected member of the local community was shouting his mouth off about he had been doing testing with birth control on the local population and past on his findings to Defra of the positive results he had encountered
    from that they hav decided to follow his path instead of introducing a cull to reduce numbers
    WHY
    as the population of badgers in my area, which are part of the same badger group as his
    are on the increase..........
    as they hav had young again this year as they did last year and the year before
    where the feck he got his facts from is anyones game
    but Defra need to get a grip..........and look at the reality of the whole picture
    not some infatuated idiot that probably started " Badgers re-united " or "Save the badgers.com"

Iwrch,

I thought the point of law was that there was no scientific proof that THIS cull would achieve the desired effect. The problem being that the previous "scientific" cull was so botched that all it achieved was a dispersal of TB infected Badgers over a much greater area.

Now, mention Glen Feshie in our community......

M'lud has merely deferred the issue to allow the for presentation of the "plan" to be "proven to likely succeed".

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    The problem being that the previous "scientific" cull was so botched that all it achieved was a dispersal of TB infected Badgers over a much greater area

Stan
    TBF the Krebs investigation was quite deliberately screwed up by the badger huggers, who simply wont countenance any views contrary to their own. The fear that Krebs might come up with any sort of evidence that culling might be effective was more than enough to ensure that traps etc were routinely interferred with.

Iwrch,

I thought the point of law was that there was no scientific proof that THIS cull would achieve the desired effect. The problem being that the previous "scientific" cull was so botched that all it achieved was a dispersal of TB infected Badgers over a much greater area.

Now, mention Glen Feshie in our community......

M'lud has merely deferred the issue to allow the for presentation of the "plan" to be "proven to likely succeed".

Stan
    Have you read the explanation about Glen feshie?? its in another thread 2 dead deer in the game dealers,its reads nothing like the crap the media put about.....

Nell

Neil,

My point exactly.

It isn't the Badger huggers that are "pushing" something, just the due process of Law.

If you are going to Cull, then do it right. The Badger huggers have "an arguable point" that a cull will make matters worse, not better.

Arguement should be held in court, not in the field.

Stan

Neil,

My point exactly.

It isn't the Badger huggers that are "pushing" something, just the due process of Law.

If you are going to Cull, then do it right. The Badger huggers have "an arguable point" that a cull will make matters worse, not better.

Arguement should be held in court, not in the field.

Stan
    How will an 'arguement' in court come to any sound judgement, unless the arguements are based on scientific evidence? Unfortunately the badger huggers seem intent on ensuring that the debate is centred around sentiment and emotion and are quite happy to sabotage any and all efforts to gather the requisite evidence. Their intransigence in opposing any form of research involving a cull indicates to me that they are afraid of the likely findings.

Bandit Country,

They are Appealing a Judicial Review on a point of order in that A hadn't considered the effect on Z. The GOVERNMENT had. Simples

The local Brock have to sacrifice themselves for the sake of local milk, cheese and beef (don't mention Veal).

Brock as a species will not be impacted, only in the local area for the period that natural regeneration will cover.

Yes, Fluffy wins now, only because they work the law. Only a delay

Stan

A good friend of mine was a Defra Field Operator during the badger trials prior to the last FMD crisis (he, along with most Defra staff, was then transferred to this). Now he is an intelligent and precise guy who does everything to the best of his abilities. He said that when results and reports were passed up the chain from the guys on the ground they were very often changed, manipulated or ignored in order to make them fit the desired outcome. I have no reason to doubt this. I have no opinions either way on badgers, I don't know enough about the subject, and I support both the badgers and the farmers rights to go about their business but any actions must be based on good science. JC

I was rather peeved when watching the BBC news about this badger cull, in fact angry enough to write to the Governers. There was no mention made of the opinion of Defra, it's scientists or the vets who had come up with the idea of the cull, it was (according to the BBC) the Farmers who decided on the cull. What utter bullocks.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.