Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: variation refused for 223 on birds!!

variation refused for 223 on birds!!

hi all,i recently put in a variation for a 223 for shooting geese,crows,big blackbacks,had a constable round explained the situation he was happy with it,then sargent wanted a quick word about caliber choice,seemed happy after our chat said everything was in order,today the first officer phoned and wanted to come and have another chat,he appeared then told me cheif inspector was'nt a happy bunny said it was to powerfull for birds,i then told him i've had offers to shoot foxes on my uncles land which happens to be on another island,the question is can he hold the 223 off me?? any help or advise would be much appeciated!!

You should inform the uninformed Chief Constable that his views are not shared by the central science laboratory chaps, they have determined that .223 is the optimum calibre for humane destruction of Canada geese, (I have had this condition on mine for ages)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Argueged this with Martin @ Cheshire Constab. for half an hour yesterday!

"Well we wont issue it becuase that means you will be shooting into trees!"
    "No, I want to shoot corvids and geese a long way away when they are on the floor"
    "Well, I think that a .22-250 is far to big and fast for birds."
    "I dont want to eat them!"
    "Well it doesnt mater, you will not have that condition."
    "Well would you issue it on a .223?"
    "Possibly"
    "Right, well can I have a .223 for Deer, Fox, Corvids and Canada geese? Please."
    "No"

I have given up.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

I'm very disappointed to see this of Martin, we thought he was a little better informed & up to date on these matters, I was told he is a shooter himself, we were hoping he may have turned out to be a settling influence on this madhouse known as Cheshire firearms licensing office............. strangely enough this office is my issuing office & I have had this condition for geese since it was DEFRA licenced.................?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

maybe if you put deer foxes and vermin they would be none the wiser

Quote Originally Posted by mrkipling View Post
    hi all,i recently put in a variation for a 223 for shooting geese,crows,big blackbacks,had a constable round explained the situation he was happy with it,then sargent wanted a quick word about caliber choice,seemed happy after our chat said everything was in order,today the first officer phoned and wanted to come and have another chat,he appeared then told me cheif inspector was'nt a happy bunny said it was to powerfull for birds,i then told him i've had offers to shoot foxes on my uncles land which happens to be on another island,the question is can he hold the 223 off me?? any help or advise would be much appeciated!!
    So what are you using at the moment for pest control?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Argueged this with Martin @ Cheshire Constab. for half an hour yesterday!

"Well we wont issue it becuase that means you will be shooting into trees!"
    "No, I want to shoot corvids and geese a long way away when they are on the floor"
    "Well, I think that a .22-250 is far to big and fast for birds."
    "I dont want to eat them!"
    "Well it doesnt mater, you will not have that condition."
    "Well would you issue it on a .223?"
    "Possibly"
    "Right, well can I have a .223 for Deer, Fox, Corvids and Canada geese? Please."
    "No"

I have given up.

Sam
    Sam, I'm willing to let you have details if you like, I would find it strange to have him comment like that again after being made aware his office already have at least one ticket so conditioned.

Just remembered, My mate who is in Merseyside licensing district, was initially told no too, until he advised them of central science laboratory's findings....... & also my already conditioned ticket for Canada's with.223 next door in Cheshire.

I never mentioned birds when I applied for .223

Just put "fox and vermin control"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox