Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage words from an old stalker

Sage words from an old stalker

I had a few drinks with my German stalker neighbor last night and these were two of his comments.
    Quote1
    When the birds stop twittering then it is time to get down out of the high seat and go home to keep the disturbance levels in the woods low.
    Quote2
    When shooting deer broadside on - only shoot when their head is up, because when the head is down and the shot passes through the ribs without hitting any bone the impact shock will bring the beasts head up and that backwards pressure will close up the wound channel making a blood trail more difficult to find as less blood will escape.
    I found Quote2 quite fascinating and it makes sense to me.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I had a few drinks with my German stalker neighbor last night and these were two of his comments.
    Quote2
    When shooting deer broadside on - only shoot when their head is up, because when the head is down and the shot passes through the ribs without hitting any bone the impact shock will bring the beasts head up and that backwards pressure will close up the wound channel making a blood trail more difficult to find as less blood will escape.
    I wonder if the shot reaction study that is being run be members here is collecting data that may support that observation.

Very interesting. Every day is a School day...

Martin I think the head up or head down theory has been debated at length on the SD site previously, but some years ago. I believe that no firm conclusion could be drawn from the various arguments put forward by stalkers from the various camps. In fact I may be wrong but the guys who shoot professionally said just shoot them when they are in a suitable position regardless of head up or not.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Martin I think the head up or head down theory has been debated at length on the SD site previously, but some years ago. I believe that no firm conclusion could be drawn from the various arguments put forward by stalkers from the various camps. In fact I may be wrong but the guys who shoot professionally said just shoot them when they are in a suitable position regardless of head up or not.
    I think the species will have varying degrees of suseptability to it as well.

For example, a lightweight Muntjac or Roe will be sufficiently knocked about by a rifle shot, but a big fat Fallow that's been gorging itself will leak less anyway.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Can't really say I have noticed much difference between head up and head down and agree with the previous poster about shooting them
    when they are in the right position regardless of head up or head down.

Bare in mind old stalkers tend to talk a lot of crap, I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Can't really say I have noticed much difference between head up and head down and agree with the previous poster about shooting them
    when they are in the right position regardless of head up or head down.

And for all those years I believed every word you told me,

Bob

SD Regular
    That's on a par with the old belief that if you shot a pheasant (or duck or goose) "in the beak" the head and neck would be knocked back and the body would fly on. So killing the bird, in mid-air, by in fact breaking its neck. In all my years I never picked a pheasant that on landing had its neck so broken. So myth or is it truth?

What is true is that in many cases if you shoot a (high) pheasant the shot stuns it, as it were, in mid-air and in fact it is the fall and subsequent impact with the ground that kills it. Well, that's what I believe. More myth or based on fact as Payne-Gallwey believed? I think it holds true for other feathered game too. Any opinions?

What is true is this. Never run over a snake in an open topped car and never fight a boxing kangaroo. For good reason! Maybe we need a "sage words" true or false thread? So I'll start one in "Off Topic">

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post

[QUOTE=enfieldspares;1112278]That's on a par with the old belief that if you shot a pheasant (or duck or goose) "in the beak" the head and neck would be knocked back and the body would fly on. So killing the bird, in mid-air, by in fact breaking its neck. In all my years I never picked a pheasant that on landing had its neck so broken. So myth or is it truth?

What is true is that in many cases if you shoot a (high) pheasant the shot stuns it, as it were, in mid-air and in fact it is the fall and subsequent impact with the ground that kills it. Well, that's what I believe.

Absoluty true - I remember shooting in thick snow and a number of birds that were properly spanked got up and flew off, much to everyone's amazement. Including a cock bird I dropped squarely at my feet that hit the snow fairly hard, and flew off ten minutes later having looked entirely dead. The snow cushioned their impact and the impact didn't finish them off.