Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 ammunition

.22 ammunition

Morning all I'm after some .22 ammo that dosn't leave aload of rubbish in the barrel I'm currently using Winchester 40 grain I think they are a little old but they came with the rifle any recommendations?

Cheers

I can't remember ever shooting a clean 22 round that seems to be the nature of the beast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Morning all I'm after some .22 ammo that dosn't leave aload of rubbish in the barrel I'm currently using Winchester 40 grain I think they are a little old but they came with the rifle any recommendations?

Cheers
    Yep don't waste your time looking as all .22lr is dirty it's just the extent of the dirt that varies. It makes no difference and some of the "rubbish" actually is lubricant which eases the passage of the next very soft lead bullet up the barrel. Generally the advise given by most shooters is don't clean a .22 rimfire bore unless you really have to.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

They are all filthy
    its the nature of the Lil'Gun style powder they use

just get a pull through or rod if worried

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yep don't waste your time looking as all .22lr is dirty it's just the extent of the dirt that varies. It makes no difference and some of the "rubbish" actually is lubricant which eases the passage of the next very soft lead bullet up the barrel. Generally the advise given by most shooters is don't clean a .22 rimfire bore unless you really have to.
    +1

Used to shoot .22 precision years ago. Never met anyone who had cleaned their barrel as the fowling leads to tighter groups.

my target rifle gets cleaned one a year, usually after 7-8000 rounds of Eley Tenex. keep the bolt and action clean and free from crud, which is usually a mix of bees wax or tallow lube. some American ammo uses dry mica as a lube which is less messy.
    the test barrels at Eley are not usually cleaned at all they just wipe the bolt face and muzzle and carry on.
    the old priming compound contained powdered glass and some corrosive elements which needed to be cleaned out but that's no longer an issue as most of it is made by the Eley prime process and primer composition.

I've used several .22 ammo and have always returned to Winchester I find them the best

I would be more than happy with Winchesters, especially with your location.

It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.