scope mine field

heymman

hi all im in the market for a new stalking scope looking for something with a ballistic turret in mid range mag was veering towards a swaro z6 2.5-15x56 with the bt "traffic light" turret seems a real simple operation lol, have been told they are problem prone,anyone incur an problems with them losing zero have been told a good few here in ireland have been returned for repair.(moderator vibration being used as a reason for it happening)

Or has anyone got any recommendations of a scope something like this ?

thanks in advance

hi all im in the market for a new stalking scope looking for something with a ballistic turret in mid range mag was veering towards a swaro z6 2.5-15x56 with the bt "traffic light" turret seems a real simple operation lol, have been told they are problem prone,anyone incur an problems with them losing zero have been told a good few here in ireland have been returned for repair.(moderator vibration being used as a reason for it happening)

thanks in advance

what's you budget?
you will get a 100 answers on that question.

Why do you need ballistic turrets on a stalking rifle. Zero 1" high at 100, and put cross hair on deer and squeeze trigger. If its over 250 yds hold cross hair a bot high. If its any further than that should you be shooting it?

thanks in advance

Have two of them and hsd mo problems although i do often think a simple lighter 6x42 or 8x56 would be better for my needs!!

Check out the new Delta Titanium 2.5-15 x 56 HD. Re-settable low profile turrets, superb optics (on a par with Euro glass for sure). Tried one and bought it for one of my rifles and no regrets. Best VFM out there at the minute anyway. Top end performance, high-mid range scope. I've had no problems so far with holding zero and it tracks very well, but as above, mine is zeroed an inch high at 100 yds which is where it stays unless bashing gongs at long distance.

I’m a sucker for a good scope. I checked out the optical quality and had to “upgrade”. I got a scope that is really nice to use; Meopta MeoPro 6-18x50. As soon as I could I mounted it onto the Steyr Pro Varmint 223, then sighed it in on 07/05. I started off bore sighting it in then went to a target (Remington Target from Google printed on A4 page) first 20m then 50m finally 100m. All up 20 shots with the last 4 shots. Bang on.
Spotlighting just so good, clear, sharp image easy that is easy to identify objects and then target. Currently using Winchester 55g, accurate and devastating on foxes and cats.
I like my new scope.Just sighted in 07052016.jpgFox & Cat image 07052016.jpg

The top scope makers have to differentiate between each other in the market place so they can sell scopes - so Zeiss have the best glass and Swaro appear to go down the line of customer service as their "unique selling point."

With this in mind I would expect that Swaro would put things right even if the scope did have problems and so if your heart is set on it then you should probably just go for it.

My recommendation for something else would be a good fixed mag scope from one of the big names, buy it second hand from a reliable source and spend the cash you save on going stalking. In the end buying more gadgets will not let you shoot more deer or have more fun but buying more stalking will.

Why do you need ballistic turrets on a stalking rifle. Zero 1" high at 100, and put cross hair on deer and squeeze trigger. If its over 250 yds hold cross hair a bot high. If its any further than that should you be shooting it?

Very good advice. Tactical reticles are for; Surprise Surprise for tactical use. Ballistic turrets are for those who have the luxury of time and are shooting long range. Otherwise just sight in using maximum mid range trajectory and shoot straight at em.

Very good advice. Tactical reticles are for; Surprise Surprise for tactical use. Ballistic turrets are for those who have the luxury of time and are shooting long range. Otherwise just sight in using maximum mid range trajectory and shoot straight at em.

Good advice there. I'd settle for a Schmidt and bender Variable or fixed, good all round dependable scopes find a decent secondhand one and save some dollar as well
good luck

phil

Zeiss have the best glass and Swaro appear to go down the line of customer service as their "unique selling point."

Really??
Absolutely no doubt about Swarovski customer service being the best, S&B a close 2nd, but such a distinction as a general comment of Zeiss 'best glass' - Probably many out there disagree and many who think little to choose between Zeiss, S&B and Swarovski for looking through.
I currently use all three, all 8x56 fixed power and none have failed. Nothing to choose between any other than customer service and I mention those I believe to be the best in that area.
Zeiss service, a poor somewhere else.

Do you really, really need ballistic turrets? The more you have to fiddle with the more can go wrong.
From my own practical experience, for stalking, I recommend a fixed power scope (6x42, 7x50 or 8x56) with as little bells and whistles as possible.

Do you really, really need ballistic turrets? The more you have to fiddle with the more can go wrong.
From my own practical experience, for stalking, I recommend a fixed power scope (6x42, 7x50 or 8x56) with as little bells and whistles as possible.

This.

Really??
Absolutely no doubt about Swarovski customer service being the best, S&B a close 2nd, but such a distinction as a general comment of Zeiss 'best glass' - Probably many out there disagree and many who think little to choose between Zeiss, S&B and Swarovski for looking through.
I currently use all three, all 8x56 fixed power and none have failed. Nothing to choose between any other than customer service and I mention those I believe to be the best in that area.
Zeiss service, a poor somewhere else.

There have been very, very few actual well conducted quantitative tests but Zeiss have won every one that I've ever found when it comes to glass quality so this isn't a matter of opinion but a restatement of test results. I believe that one manufacturer in particular will not allow their scopes to be submitted for any quantitative review. No private individual has the cash to actually buy the scopes for such a review so we'd be depending on a magazine walking into a shop and buying one of these scopes for testing without the knowledge of the manufacturer. Who pays for the full page adverts?

This test was very well conducted, if you have, literally, a day you can read the details of how it was done and all the double blind stuff and so on. I think it is the only very recent test of glass and it is specific to one type of scope so it is not perfect for the stalker. There was an older (maybe 5 - 10 years) test done somewhere in Scandinavia and carried out along similar lines and as you'd expect Zeiss won on glass. You might also notice who is missing in the following test and consider that in light of the point made above.

Tactical Scopes: Optical Performance Part 1 - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

The bottom line is that the vast majority of scopes, and certainly all the big names, are now suitable for all UK stalking and so people are, basically, buying on brand. Each brand needs something to sell on and it helps if it is something different from the competition and that is, in effect, how the market is divided up. It looks like Zeiss put the money into the actual glass while others may put it into brand image, customer service and so on and that is why we're having this conversation as they are all selling us something different at about the same price point and we are talking about the differences. The other key point you make is that every one of those scopes is adequate for UK stalking, in fact in the present day most of the "big name" scopes are over specified and engineered for UK stalking so you are not going to buy a scope from them that is unsuitable for your task and this brings us back to buying, basically, on the basis of the marketing.

The scope you mentioned is thought to be one of the best all round scopes on the market,much more than just a stalking tool,great for mid to long range shooting as well. If you have your heart set on it and can afford it,get it,but as has been said,if it's purely for stalking there are a lot of cheaper scopes that would be more suitable.

:D Spot on mate. Too much over thinking on scopes.
Tusker

True or untrue?
Heard that Zeiss are to pull out of the riflescope market...the market is just too small for them...i.e. Their sales of scopes are low?
It's gossip just now, but if true do they mean worldwide or just UK?

Last edited:
True or untrue?
Heard that Zeiss are to pull out of the riflescope market...the market is just too small for the...i.e. Their sales of scopes are low?
It's gossip just now, but if true do they mean worldwide or just UK?

I've got to say that I think their attempts to market lower quality scopes were a big mistake, I'd guess it was an idea produced by some consultant or something, as their key strength is their glass and in terms of the brand the lower quality scopes threw all that away in the eyes of the customer. I'm not saying that their "budget" scopes were no good, just that for the brand they were a bad idea. They have also lacked the strong brand image and aggressive marketing that you see with Swaro and so I think they are failing to hold their place in the eyes of the customer. I'd guess that consumer rifle scopes are not their primary product, or anything close to it, so maybe it makes sense for them to stop fiddling around in that business and focus on their core stuff.

The other thing is that in optics terms rifle scopes aren't really big money items. I recently worked on some optical gear that had a fault (it wasn't actually Zeiss glass but a cheaper brand) and the cost to repair was £46,000 so maybe that end of the market is a better place for Zeiss to be?

So, while I can tell you nothing about the plans Zeiss might have I can certainly think of some reasons why getting out of lower end consumer items might make sense for them.

Back