Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold scopes?

Leupold scopes?

I've been planning changing my scope on my .270 from a 8x56 S&B and was thinking about getting a leupold. I have one on my hmr and get on great with it. I'm after a variable scope,(probably 6x up) as I like to be able to crank the scope up for zeroing or slightly longer shots.

why do most folk on here jump straight to s&b,(like I did) swaro, zeiss? Is the glass that much better? Or is it the thicker reticules? Any reason to avoid the leupolds?

thanks!

I have only really experience of one Leopold scope. It was a very clear and sharp picture but i couldn't get on with the cross hair, it was very fine as light started to fade I would lose the cross hair. I don't know if it was just that reticle or if most of the scopes where like that.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Agree with Andy. Good scopes but the cross hair is fine. I have one of my HMR. Would recommend taking a look through one if possible before you buy.

I have 2 6x18 and I love them. Both on target rifles my stalker has a Leupold 6x42. I think you can probably get better glass but not for that money in my humble opinion.

My first Leupold was a 6x42 M8 which came with my .243, I currently use a VX3 on my .22-250, love it. In the past I've had Swarovski which was better low light performance but the ret was too thick for accurate longer range shots, then I had a Sightron SIII which was good but to my eyes not as good glass as the Leupold and build quality was better on the Leupold. You also have the advantage or arguably the best warranty in the business (as long as you don't use it as a hammer, you have a scope for life)

I have a FX 6x42 on one of my stalking rifles and it works well. However you might want to consider Meopta. I have a 3 to 9 x 42 on another (.270) stalking rifle and think it's better than the Leopold for about the same money and the glass is almost that of the top money scope manufacturers.

Leupold makes a huge variety of scopes, and in several grades of quality. They are noted for being very rugged and holding zero, and almost never fogging up. I think some are a real value for the money.

They also offer more reticle choices than any manufacturer, and will even put one on your scope if it is not standard for that model. I just shot an AR-15 with a Leupold VX-R 1.25-5x with a lighted dot on the crosshair that has about nine brightness settings at the touch of a button. It would be fabulous on a dangerous game rifle ( and a friend has one on his .375 H&H). I had the older, 1.25-5x on a .375 and it was a fabulous rig.

Other Leupolds I like are:
    3-9x40 AR with mil dot reticle and exposed turrets
    3-9x33 EFR - great for a .22 and for a stalking rifle... now coming with ballistic turret
    6x42mm M8
    4-12x40 VXIII AO

All of my 5 hunting riflescopes are Leupold, in the VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 line. The reasons I went the Leupold route are :

- great value for money, especially when you buy them in the U.S.

- great glass, especially in the latest VX-3 line (havenít tried the vx-3i yet). Probably not the best out there, but plenty enough for an aiming device (I do know what good glass is, my 2 pairs of binoculars are Swarovskis)

- their light weight. For example, my VX-3 3.5-10x50 and VX-3 4.5-14x50 both weigh only 400 g (14.1 oz)

- to my eyes, the best choice of non-illuminated reticles (have no experience with illuminated). They are not etched reticles, which has the advantage of being able to change to a different reticle if needed in the future. I really like their Duplex and Heavy Duplex.

My Leupold scopes have their downsides : I have found their windage and elevation adjustments not that precise, but once zeroed they have always hold their zero . Also some are better build than others : for example, the two scopes mentioned above are both build on the same frame (same outer dimensions and weight), but that frame is more suited to the 3.5-10. With the 4.5-14, the eye relief changes somewhat with magnification, and the eye needs to be well centered, which takes some getting used to. My priority was lightweight, and I got used to it.

The two scopes mentioned above, with the Heavy Duplex reticle, are both great for low light situations, and they have saved me the weight and price of illuminated scopes.

Meopta Meo Star scopes have probably better glass, but I find them heavy and I donít like their reticles as much.

Thanks for all the replies! I really like the fine cross hair on my leupold for the hmr. Its a 6.5-20x40. I usually keep it on 12 most of the time just because I prefer a higher mag.

I currently have a IR 2.5-10x56 s&b which stays on 8x or 10 x most of the time. Have to say I've never wound it down below 8x for stalking and havent needed the IR as the cross hairs are pretty thick.

Maybe a compromise would be a leupold with an IR if the fine cross hairs are tricky in low light?

Im after something like 6-20x56. I like the larger objective for light gathering. Had a look at the meoptas and they only seem to do a target scope in this sort of spec?

Can anyone explain the different specs of the leupold scopes? There seems to be several varieties!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate some people would say this sort of mag is overkill for stalking and I've done fine for years on 8x mag but it's just a bit extra confidence for longer shots and hopefully a bit more accuracy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by paulux View Post
    All of my 5 hunting riflescopes are Leupold, in the VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 line. The reasons I went the Leupold route are :

- great value for money, especially when you buy them in the U.S.

- great glass, especially in the latest VX-3 line (haven’t tried the vx-3i yet). Probably not the best out there, but plenty enough for an aiming device (I do know what good glass is, my 2 pairs of binoculars are Swarovskis)

- their light weight. For example, my VX-3 3.5-10x50 and VX-3 4.5-14x50 both weigh only 400 g (14.1 oz)

- to my eyes, the best choice of non-illuminated reticles (have no experience with illuminated). They are not etched reticles, which has the advantage of being able to change to a different reticle if needed in the future. I really like their Duplex and Heavy Duplex.

My Leupold scopes have their downsides : I have found their windage and elevation adjustments not that precise, but once zeroed they have always hold their zero . Also some are better build than others : for example, the two scopes mentioned above are both build on the same frame (same outer dimensions and weight), but that frame is more suited to the 3.5-10. With the 4.5-14, the eye relief changes somewhat with magnification, and the eye needs to be well centered, which takes some getting used to. My priority was lightweight, and I got used to it.

The two scopes mentioned above, with the Heavy Duplex reticle, are both great for low light situations, and they have saved me the weight and price of illuminated scopes.

Meopta Meo Star scopes have probably better glass, but I find them heavy and I don’t like their reticles as much.
    Thank you for that. I have to say at the moment i'm think of not going for IR and use the cash instead for a higher variable scope. Appreciate the info!