Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a barrel blank.

Buying a barrel blank.

Hi I'm looking for advice on where I can buy a 6.5 barrel blank in the uk I want it for a long term project I'm buying all the components and then going to have it put together by a gunsmith. Also any idea what it would cost to have a barrel chambered and threaded.

cheers m.

Depends also on what rifle. For a Mauser 98 for example you get fantastic Lothar Walther off the shelf chambered and threaded barrels for around 200 .
    edi

The UK barrel makers are sassen engineering who produce button rifled barrels but seem to be trade only or GB Barrels who produce cut rifled barrels. Otherwise you could try March scopes who import benchmark and Fox firearms. The other thing to do is to get your gunsmith to order it once you have chosen who you want to do your work

Sassen engineering will deal with you direct BUT you have to place the order through your RFD. So you can talk to them about the various options and agree on what you want, go to your RFD and order through them.
    They will also consider custom stuff, Adam is pricing a very large bore custom barrel for me at the moment.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Depends also on what rifle. For a Mauser 98 for example you get fantastic Lothar Walther off the shelf chambered and threaded barrels for around 200 .
    edi
    where from Edi ? I have a Mauser 98 (parker Hale) sat awaiting for a re barrel in a different calibre now I have 2 x .270 rifles ?

Have read on these forums that Norman Clark of Rugby had a lot of P-H barrels. He of course is also known for his rifle smithing so perhpas a call to him might help.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegunner View Post
    where from Edi ? I have a Mauser 98 (parker Hale) sat awaiting for a re barrel in a different calibre now I have 2 x .270 rifles ?
    These guys say they can get any LW barrel blank listed in their catalogue:

Lothar Walther Barrel Blanks | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more

Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 08-05-2016 at 17:10.

Steve Kershaw is a Lothar Walther dealer and is fantastic to deal with.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by gamegunner View Post
    The one I got came directly from Lothar Walther, think you can get the pricelist somehow on the net. I picked my list up at a gun show. They are fantastic barrels and not super tight match chambered. Mine is in 308 and extremely accurate (as in down to 5-6mm groups) with any ammo I tried so far. only downside was that the price is for ordinary barrel steel. Stainless would be more. The good thing is they are very easy and quick to fit. A friend fitted mine as he could get it proofed in Germany. We don't have a proofing agency.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    Steve Kershaw is a Lothar Walther dealer and is fantastic to deal with.

There are numerous people who also deal with Lothar Walther in the UK.

Their current leade time is 6-10 weeks

Ive been using Sassen quite a bit recently, their barrels are as good as any and are GB made.