Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 light bullet

6.5x55 light bullet

Im toying with the idea of selling my .223 set up and just loading a lighter bullet in the 6.5 for longer range vermin.
    Anyone with much experience in loading lighter bullets for the swede that can offer any advice?
    Currently use nosler 120gr for all deer species (which i would continue to use) and i suppose i could just use that on fox as well but unsure if a lighter bullet is going to increase the legs and improve trajectory enough to justify loading another load suitable for a max of 300yrds for vermin.
    With rf binos and a scope with ranging ret or ballistic turret surely the swede could fit the bill?

95 gn vmax or 100 gn nosler bt will flatten your trajectory a bit but won't extend the range ,the heavier 120 gn noslers will be better in the wind aswell ,personally ID stick to the same bullet for everything it makes life a lot easier and simpler ��

https://www.shootersproshop.com/medi...m-50ct-d51.jpg

A friend of mine shoots these Nosler 100 grain with good success.~Muir

I would stick with the 120 grn v max or sst
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Norma used to offer even lighter bullets of 77 grains in their practice FMJ ammunition and also in a soft point. The 77 grain oft Points was good on foxes according to that used to shoot with the BRSC at Bisley. I can see his face in my mind and the cartridges with that stubby bullet but do not remember what rifle he had or his name ........................... how odd.

I've never had much luck with the light bullets,95gr etc in my 6.5x55, so just stick with 129sst which are super accurate. If you're dialling in it doesn't really matter and a round shooting a bit flatter is no substitute for a more accurate load.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyin View Post
    95 gn vmax or 100 gn nosler bt will flatten your trajectory a bit but won't extend the range ,the heavier 120 gn noslers will be better in the wind aswell ,personally ID stick to the same bullet for everything it makes life a lot easier and simpler ��

+1 Glendine.

123 A max is supposed to be fantastic ��

I had great fun with a 108gr scenar in my 260. Very flat, and good in the wind to 400 yards which is where my range runs out.

You can get crazy speeds with a 100gr BT in a 6.5.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

If I had a 6.5mm for long range work I would shoot 123gr or 140gr AMax exclusively
    maybe 123 and 139gr Lapua Scenar at a push, but if using them on longer range quarry Amax are significantly better options

I always shoot the heaviest bullet I can get to work
    with the exception of .270 where I want energy not BC