Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka t3

Tikka t3

Hi I have a slot for a .223. I have decided on getting a Tikka after reading all the praises they get. My problem is what one to go for. Light, or Varmint. I could get a t3light tomorrow but they only have 1/12 twist, some have been saying get a 1/8 twist. The heaviest I'll be going is 55 grain so I think 1/12 should be fine. Onto the varmint I think it would be to heavy for carrying not getting any younger. It will have a swarv 8x50 for roe on it and will swap over to a drone pro 10x with a nm800 ir for fox so that would be a heavy lot to carry. How do you's get on carrying the varmint? I know I'm answering my own questions but want to get this on right after my pro hunter 11 debacle. What would you do?
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Hi I have a slot for a .223. I have decided on getting a Tikka after reading all the praises they get. My problem is what one to go for. Light, or Varmint. I could get a t3light tomorrow but they only have 1/12 twist, some have been saying get a 1/8 twist. The heaviest I'll be going is 55 grain so I think 1/12 should be fine. Onto the varmint I think it would be to heavy for carrying not getting any younger. It will have a swarv 8x50 for roe on it and will swap over to a drone pro 10x with a nm800 ir for fox so that would be a heavy lot to carry. How do you's get on carrying the varmint? I know I'm answering my own questions but want to get this on right after my pro hunter 11 debacle. What would you do?
    Thanks
    Jim
    I have not had a 1-12 T-3 Lite but I have had the 1-8" (given to a friend who uses it on eastern marmots) and currently have a 1-10" twist T-3 Lite. The 1-8" was/is very accurate with 50 grain bullets -this is about all that got shot from it. The 1-10" is accurate with 50 -55 grain bullets. I have one hole groups on the wall of my reloading room from this rifle. If you are topping out at 55 grain then yes, the 1-12" should be fine. If you could wait on a 1-10" that might be a better choice should circumstances change.

No need for a Varmint in my experiences with the Lite. We shoot prairiedogs which can get fast, furious, and almost always at long range. Imagine half liter beer bottle at 400 yards. No problem hitting them in 100 degree heat, firing as fast as the targets appeared. They are light, handy, and super accurate.JMHO~Muir

as above jim you should have said mate just sold my 1 in 8 too a lad past you 55gr hole on hole with privvis,//,sako,s even better,good luck mate you wont go wrong with a lite,anyway,,,regards doug,
    DONT START

Hi, I can't comment on the 223 caliber but I have two Tikka T3 lite in 243 and 308. Both are extremely accurate rifles, even with the recoil on the 308 with the rifle being so light in weight.

I have a tikka varmint in 243 which I use for both deer and foxing with a very light dpt mod. I find it light enough to stalk with and it was for some time my only stalking rifle. It now has a drone pro on it for foxing and I shoot mainly of the roof or bonnet of the car so weight isn't an issue. My understanding of the twist issue is that the 1 in 8 twist on a 223 will allow you to shoot the heavier rounds.
    bryn

I have 2 super varmints. One in 6.5 and one in .223. The .223 is for sale due to lack of use (and wanting some rf binos!) No doubt they are heavier than the lite but not to the extent i have found it a problem.....i quite like a slightly heavier rifle. The adjustable cheek peice is very handy for ensuring perfect eye relief/alingment with the scope.
    Your welcome to come and handle/shoot it. Its silly accurate with 55gr as you would expect.
    Looking at your location though maybe a bit far to travel? Im in suffolk

I have the T3 varmint in 308 and it's a pleasure to use and own. Very accurate (as in cloverleaf) groups straight out of the box. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Have a 223 in 1 in 8 and as above, go for the 1 in 8. Most of my mates shooting 1/12 or 1/14 regret not going for the faster twist as they're limited on range. 1/12 with 45 grainers will get you out to about 400ish reliably enough but better at 3 to 400 to shoot a heavier bullet to buck the wind a bit more. The 1/8 will allow you to shoot 75g Amax for example and get you out past 800 yds. I use 60g Vmax and 69gr TMKs in mine which the slower twist can't manage, but dont forget you can also shoot lighter rounds too (I've also use 50g Accutips with decent accuracy)...that wont work the other way round so why handicap yourself if you have the choice now?

The only thing I've found with the varmint (and it IS annoying) is that you have to use an overly long cleaning rod to avoid snagging (and misaligning) the cleaning rod handle on the cheek-piece, but a GRS Beserker stock will shortly solve that issue for me.

I've a T3 lite in 270 and it performs as you would expect. Guess an influence on your decision will be what kind of stalking you spend most of your time doing. High seat ? you could get away with a Varmint. Open hill ? I wouldn't want to be lugging a Varmint around all day so it was the Lite for me.

I've got a T3 lite in .223 and it is simply an excellent rifle. Bought it second hand from a member on here hardly used. The seller said it was super accurate and so it proved. It occasionally comes to the range with me, the excuse being to check zero, but really it's just fun to shoot and, did I say before, accurate. if I put a fair few through it, it doesn't seem fazed by it, so I would say you won't lose much, except perhaps muscle definition by not having a varmint barrel.

A rifle with 1-in-8" twist will be easier to sell if/when you want to.
    A new 1-in-8" twist rifle will have a 6-month special order wait, but you could also choose a set trigger and a longer barrel at the same time.
    Now that the T3X is out, the older models might be discounted, perhaps.