Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite reloading calibres

Favourite reloading calibres

I just realized looking at my stack of die sets that I haven't used many of them in years ! I'm only using the top 4-5 and the bottom 5 hardly ever….I could easily be happy with just my 223rem, 260rem, 30-06 and 9.3x62.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0570 (002).jpg  

I'd be happy with just the Lott! Everything from deer to Tembo.

223 for vermin would be a good addition mind.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

My favorite to reload for are not always the ones I shoot most. For example, I love loading 8x57, 218 Bee, 25 Krag, 30-40 Krag, .357 Magnum and 44 Special but I shoot mostly 308, 7-08, 223, 204, 22Hornet and 300 Blackout these days so these dies are usually at the top of the heap though they may not be the cartridges I love to load for.~Muir

My largest amount of burned powder, at this time, is 4560 win, 338 lapua, 45 auto, and 9mm para. The 4560, is the only one to be used on a head of game. Just the ones im presently having the most fun with.

8x57 and 8x57IRS, 7x57R, .257 Roberts, 7x64, and .375 H&H are most enjoyed, because I can create all sorts of loads that I cannot buy in stores ( for lots less money, too). But I must admit to never tiring of loading the .30-06; now loading IMR 4451 to check it out at different temperatures, and experimenting with the 155-gr Sierra in my Browning B78.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    now loading IMR 4451 to check it out at different temperatures
    That's interesting. I have seen these enduron powders advertised for a while now in a magazine over here. Are they any good?

The Enduron powders are supposed to be very clean burning, and get rid of a lot of copper fouling, like CFE 223 powder. They are also supposed to be very insensitive to temperature, which is of interest to me, because where I live, the temperatures range from -14 F to +109 F. Now, I won't be out hunting or shooting at those extremes, but I have before, on trips out West. So, not having to have hot weather loads and cold weather loads appeals to me.

So far, I have loaded for my .30-06, pretty much replacing an H-4350 load. I shot a group of 150-gr at 21 degrees F and it was sub MOA, at 2,990 fps. This week, I am going to shoot at 50 F, then later in the day at 75 and 90 F. I am using the same rifle, no cleaning, just a light oil patch before I put it away six weeks ago. If the MV stays pretty close in my test, I am going to try some in the .270 Win and 7x64. I may buy some 4116 for the .308 and 7mm-08, but have a good bit of RL-15, Varget, and 4895 on hand, so it is just a curiosity at this point.

The Enduron powders are supposed to be very clean burning, and get rid of a lot of copper fouling, like CFE 223 powder. They are also supposed to be very insensitive to temperature, which is of interest to me, because where I live, the temperatures range from -14 F to +109 F. Now, I won't be out hunting or shooting at those extremes, but I have before, on trips out West. So, not having to have hot weather loads and cold weather loads appeals to me.

So far, I have loaded for my .30-06, pretty much replacing an H-4350 load. I shot a group of 150-gr at 21 degrees F and it was sub MOA, at 2,990 fps. This week, I am going to shoot at 50 F, then later in the day at 75 and 90 F. I am using the same rifle, no cleaning, just a light oil patch before I put it away six weeks ago. If the MV stays pretty close in my test, I am going to try some in the .270 Win and 7x64. I may buy some 4116 for the .308 and 7mm-08, but have a good bit of RL-15, Varget, and 4895 on hand, so it is just a curiosity at this point.
    Thanks. Let us know how it goes.

Southern, im very interested in your results, please post it , if you would be so kind.

The US government recently ran tests of "temperature sensitivity" and my friend got a hold of a copy off of some one on the Sniper's Hide site. The Enduron powders were actually more temperature sensitive than some of the older, more established powders. I will try to get the specifics (a copy) tomorrow at our club's monthly meeting but I did read it. Even Varget ranked 'lower' than oldies like my favorite, IMR 4064.~Muir