Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady American Whitetail Ammo

Hornady American Whitetail Ammo

Has anyone tried the above ammo in 150gr 308? Bought a box today to give them a try. I usually use 150gr SST's. What are they like in comparison?
    SST's can, but not always, get a bit messy so, when I saw these at a good price at the Harrogate show, I thought I'd try them.
    Will they be far off poi from the SST?

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Has anyone tried the above ammo in 150gr 308? Bought a box today to give them a try. I usually use 150gr SST's. What are they like in comparison?
    SST's can, but not always, get a bit messy so, when I saw these at a good price at the Harrogate show, I thought I'd try them.
    Will they be far off poi from the SST?

cjs
    A friend gave me a handful of these at Bisley last month and I shot them from my Howa s/s varmint .308. Only at 100yds, but 4 touching shots from a barrel that has only had about 100 rounds through it, so only just completed bnreak in. Was very impressed.

Regards

Mark

Nice one Mark, sounds canny..

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by markyw View Post
    A friend gave me a handful of these at Bisley last month and I shot them from my Howa s/s varmint .308. Only at 100yds, but 4 touching shots from a barrel that has only had about 100 rounds through it, so only just completed bnreak in. Was very impressed.

Regards

Mark
    Break in? What's that??
    The American Whitetail ammo is very popular in my locale.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Break in? What's that??
    It is what they do wearing a mask and stripped jumper carrying a swag bag and they usually have a crow or pry bar with them.. That is a Break in surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Break in? What's that??
    Thanks Muir
    It was my first and only new rifle and I read long and hard about the benefits or not of breaking in the barrel. Decided to give it a try while sighting in and getting used to it. Who knows what advantage it will bring, if any.

Conure - no stripy jumper, swag bag or jemmy in sight.

Mark

Thanks Muir
    It was my first and only new rifle and I read long and hard about the benefits or not of breaking in the barrel. Decided to give it a try while sighting in and getting used to it. Who knows what advantage it will bring, if any.

Conure - no stripy jumper, swag bag or jemmy in sight.

Mark
    Running in is a myth but if it makes you more confident, then that in itself is a benefit.~Muir

I get that. The best reasoning I came across was more to do with reducing fouling than improving accuracy. Although one may affect t'other.

Regards

Mark

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I get that. The best reasoning I came across was more to do with reducing fouling than improving accuracy. Although one may affect t'other.

Regards

Mark

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Bad barrels foul more than others and no amount of shooting and cleaning and shooting and cleaning will cure it. I take a new rifle, clean the filth left from the factory's rapid fire test firing, then shoot it. A lot. Without cleaning. My 308 Ruger Precision got "run-in" with 90 rounds of 168 grain bullets fired in 10 shot strings with the only pause for scope adjustment and magazine reloading. Shoots 1/2 MOA. My Ruger 300AAC got 60 rounds of factory ammo and 100 rounds of handloads in five shot strings. My Tikkas (223x2, 7-08, 308) have all had similar treatment All enviably accurate. I have NEVER run in a rifle. Will it hurt? Nope. Not unless you induce rod wear to the rifling. Is it necessary? Nope, again. It is an Urban Legend of sorts, easily traceable to the gunsmith who originated it. Google it.

I love reading about custom barrel makers who fit a hand lapped barrel and then tell the purchaser to "run in' his new rifle. Were it me, I'd ask why it was necessary! ~Muir

I too usually use SST 150s in my 308, but was given half a dozen of these Whitetails. On checking POI, it was virtually the same. I shot 3 roe bucks this weekend with them and it seems a lot less messy than the 308. 2 touched a shoulder and have the usually SP damage (bruising and jelly) but if that had been SST it would have been a lot worse I suspect.

Now I just need to track some more down!