Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this happened to you before?

Has this happened to you before?

Had a good think before posting this and thought, there must be others out there that this has happened to!

Only shot to present itself was to the back of the neck before he disappeared into cover, sent the 180 grain SGK bullet downrange from a prone position and it connected directly to the back of his head! His head and body were facing directly away from me. On closer inspection, his right antler was blown completely off which I later found minus half the brow tine.

The head wasn't medal standard but I'm still gutted either way as I clean all my 6 pointers up for reference purposes.

Probably should of left him be or aimed slightly lower, either way the shot was very humane.

Thoughts?

Carl.

Attachment 69941

Attachment 69942

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Carl

These things happen.

Console yourself with the thought that it could have been a lot worse and been a non-fatal shot.

I've used the "rear neck shot" on a couple of red stags that were bedded down in Scotland before, but I tend to aim for the base of the neck where possible. They were "head up" as well.

What was the point of aim you used, and was his head upright or "at the carry"?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Carl

These things happen.

Console yourself with the thought that it could have been a lot worse and been a non-fatal shot.

I've used the "rear neck shot" on a couple of red stags that were bedded down in Scotland before, but I tend to aim for the base of the neck where possible. They were "head up" as well.

What was the point of aim you used, and was his head upright or "at the carry"?
    The bullet didn't stray left or right so it was always going to be a knock out shot! I'm confident with neck and head shots and my aim point was the very top of the neck but it would seem the cold bore shot may of shifted the POI slightly high. his head was looking directly away inline with his body at the time.

Never mind those antlers, at least you had some prime venison without any shot damage. Far more important!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

cold bore impact shift - time for a new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by DevonStalking View Post
    either way the shot was very humane
    Got to be the primary consideration. Well done you.

I got halfway through your second paragraph and thought. "I bet that made a mess".

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    I got halfway through your second paragraph and thought. "I bet that made a mess".
    Put it this way, he certainly didn't know much about it at the time!

Had it with a "continental" who had wounded a beast with an 8mm(gut shot). I grabbed the rifle and shot offhand to hit it anywhere I could to bring it down. Missed with first but second shot hit the head and the antlers collapsed, he moaned straight away about losing his trophy, I leave it to your imagination as to what my reply was
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Had it with a "continental" who had wounded a beast with an 8mm(gut shot). I grabbed the rifle and shot offhand to hit it anywhere I could to bring it down. Missed with first but second shot hit the head and the antlers collapsed, he moaned straight away about losing his trophy, I leave it to your imagination as to what my reply was
    Have been in exactly the same position.