Has this happened to you before?

Devon County Shooter

Had a good think before posting this and thought, there must be others out there that this has happened to!

Only shot to present itself was to the back of the neck before he disappeared into cover, sent the 180 grain SGK bullet downrange from a prone position and it connected directly to the back of his head! His head and body were facing directly away from me. On closer inspection, his right antler was blown completely off which I later found minus half the brow tine.

The head wasn't medal standard but I'm still gutted either way as I clean all my 6 pointers up for reference purposes.

Probably should of left him be or aimed slightly lower, either way the shot was very humane.

Thoughts?

Carl.

View attachment 69941

View attachment 69942

Carl

These things happen.

Console yourself with the thought that it could have been a lot worse and been a non-fatal shot.

I've used the "rear neck shot" on a couple of red stags that were bedded down in Scotland before, but I tend to aim for the base of the neck where possible. They were "head up" as well.

What was the point of aim you used, and was his head upright or "at the carry"?

Carl

These things happen.

Console yourself with the thought that it could have been a lot worse and been a non-fatal shot.

I've used the "rear neck shot" on a couple of red stags that were bedded down in Scotland before, but I tend to aim for the base of the neck where possible. They were "head up" as well.

What was the point of aim you used, and was his head upright or "at the carry"?

The bullet didn't stray left or right so it was always going to be a knock out shot! I'm confident with neck and head shots and my aim point was the very top of the neck but it would seem the cold bore shot may of shifted the POI slightly high. his head was looking directly away inline with his body at the time.

I got halfway through your second paragraph and thought. "I bet that made a mess".

Had it with a "continental" who had wounded a beast with an 8mm(gut shot). I grabbed the rifle and shot offhand to hit it anywhere I could to bring it down. Missed with first but second shot hit the head and the antlers collapsed, he moaned straight away about losing his trophy, I leave it to your imagination as to what my reply was

Had it with a "continental" who had wounded a beast with an 8mm(gut shot). I grabbed the rifle and shot offhand to hit it anywhere I could to bring it down. Missed with first but second shot hit the head and the antlers collapsed, he moaned straight away about losing his trophy, I leave it to your imagination as to what my reply was

Have been in exactly the same position.

Here's one that takes a bit of explaining
image.jpg
The second deer has a broken tine, I was out stalking with a friend who I was not sure about how quick he could shoot, we came across a buck standing in a ride about to go into the rhododendrons, I cull deer, not pretend to manage so every deer counts, I stood to the right of him while he prepared to shoot, it seemed to take a age, as I watched the deer it moved towards the rhododendrons, so decided to put a shot in the pump house, as I fired, so did my friend, as the deer collapsed, hence the Brooken antler, needless to say we had a good laugh blaming each other, after that his speed picked up, dropping three out of a group to my one.

Here's one that takes a bit of explaining
View attachment 69967
The second deer has a broken tine, I was out stalking with a friend who I was not sure about how quick he could shoot, we came across a buck standing in a ride about to go into the rhododendrons, I cull deer, not pretend to manage so every deer counts, I stood to the right of him while he prepared to shoot, it seemed to take a age, as I watched the deer it moved towards the rhododendrons, so decided to put a shot in the pump house, as I fired, so did my friend, as the deer collapsed, hence the Brooken antler, needless to say we had a good laugh blaming each other, after that his speed picked up, dropping three out of a group to my one.
Perhaps the broken antler shot was yours then Taff :stir:

Back