Thread: Roe Cull Plan Help

Roe Cull Plan Help

Evening all,

I am just getting into stalking. I have done my DSC1 and stalked a few times with friends and once with a guide.

I have been given 435 acres of lowland stalking in Surrey. There is 1 60 acre wood in the middle of the property where most of the roe seem to be (livestock in a few of the surrounding fields). And next doors boundary is a huge wood approximately 200 acres.

The owners of the land I have been given love seeing the deer and are only allowing me the shoot their if it is in the overall benefit of the deer which Is me all over. I'm not interested in shooting big trophy bucks.

I've done a lot of spotting over the last month and used trail camera to estimate the numbers. I believe there are around 6-8 permanent deer in the wood. I have only seen one maybe 2 mature 6 pointer bucks. The other are all still in velvet and look to me like yearling maybe second year bucks.

I think there are around 2-3 does in the wood.

So my question is how would you go about managing (if at all!) the deer on this property? There are probably in the region of 9-14 deer in the large wood neighbouring. Last night I watched 2 young bucks heading from the neighbouring property to my wood.

With all of the above in mind, how would you create your cull plan. You commented on another post that going off the basis that 1 deer to ever 20 acres is a good starting point.

Would you cull the younger buck or will the mature bucks push them out anyway? I've heard cull 60% young 30% mature 10% old is this a good starting point? In another topic, a member mentioned they cull 40% of the population per year?

I really appreciate anything you all have to say.

Thanks and best regards,

Take the young poor quality and leave the older bigger ones to breed then when they start to go back take them and then if you have a decent stock leave younger quality six pointers etc to mature and only cull does that don't winter well and see what quality you have in a few years

Look at the impact and damage that is occurring in the woodland, you should be aiming to try and balance the numbers to a level that the environment can sustain
    i found that the Deer Initiative run some good information days on this

Numbers are very difficult to estimate and easy to get wrong. The land you describe is very similar to several permissions (Cotswolds) I have:
    60 Acres woodland surrounded by farm fields. Harvests approx. 15 deer (50/50 Roe and Muntjac) p.a. and the population appears to be stable.
    30 Acres woodland surrounded by farm fields. Harvests approx. 18 deer (50/50 Roe and Muntjac) p.a. and the population appears to be stable.
    20 Acres woodland surrounded by farm fields. Only recently acquired, and so far just two Roe shot. However thermal counts/surveys show at least some 20 Roe in the immediate area.
    My point is, that you may need more time to get a better idea of real numbers, I would guess you have more deer than you think. A reasonable guess would be to take the average number you see over three surveys (thermal, NV, visual) that cover all the ground, and do that x 3. That could be nearer to the real number.
    One of the previous posters is absolutely right in saying that what matters is the impact, not the number of deer. It requires some training and experience to assess impact, the DI runs courses, and maybe you can ask for help/views from some other local stalkers. However what matters the most is what your landowner wants!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Agree with Eric, I suspect you have far more than you have counted and you need to get out with a thermal. Also roe tend to be localised but for irregular periods, favouring different areas depending on the available food stuff. Its very hit and miss even with a thermal it will take years to build up an idea of what you have on the ground. Also might be compounded if you suffer any poaching pressure.

good luck

D

CP,
    If you wish to read up on this matter, I can particularly recommend two books:
    -Management of Deer and their Habitat, A.J. De Nahlik, ISBN 0 907519 01 6
    -The Deer Managers Companion, Rory Putman ISBN 1 904057 03 9
    I found both books to be very interesting indeed, containing a tremendous amount of useful information for those involved, even peripherally, in deer management.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by roestalkercp View Post
    Evening all,

I am just getting into stalking. I have done my DSC1 and stalked a few times with friends and once with a guide.

I have been given 435 acres of lowland stalking in Surrey. There is 1 60 acre wood in the middle of the property where most of the roe seem to be (livestock in a few of the surrounding fields). And next doors boundary is a huge wood approximately 200 acres.

The owners of the land I have been given love seeing the deer and are only allowing me the shoot their if it is in the overall benefit of the deer which Is me all over. I'm not interested in shooting big trophy bucks.

I've done a lot of spotting over the last month and used trail camera to estimate the numbers. I believe there are around 6-8 permanent deer in the wood. I have only seen one maybe 2 mature 6 pointer bucks. The other are all still in velvet and look to me like yearling maybe second year bucks.

I think there are around 2-3 does in the wood.

So my question is how would you go about managing (if at all!) the deer on this property? There are probably in the region of 9-14 deer in the large wood neighbouring. Last night I watched 2 young bucks heading from the neighbouring property to my wood.

With all of the above in mind, how would you create your cull plan. You commented on another post that going off the basis that 1 deer to ever 20 acres is a good starting point.

Would you cull the younger buck or will the mature bucks push them out anyway? I've heard cull 60% young 30% mature 10% old is this a good starting point? In another topic, a member mentioned they cull 40% of the population per year?

I really appreciate anything you all have to say.

Thanks and best regards,
    Just shoot the first 20% of what you see (assuming it's in season) - law of avg means that will prob be the old/weak/sick/stupid/etc. See what the effect is the following year. Work up the % you take based on that.
    Control = reducing population to an acceptable level
    Management = sustaining a healthy/balanced population
    No offence but if you're not into the tens of thousands of acres then all you can do is a bit of control, unless you agree a management plan with the surrounding stalkers.
    Good luck and happy hunting