Thread: Alert - fake jellyfish!

Alert - fake jellyfish!

Now I know you all like a good jellyfish salad as much as I do, but be warned - chinese counterfeiters are out there making a killing with rip-off-fake-jellyfish. God bless the BBC for keeping us informed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36253779
    Its amazing what they can do with alum and calcium chloride these days.

So what to look out for?

Artificial jellyfish is tasteless with no smell, is tough to tear and has a texture similar to sellotape.

The real deal? Quite the opposite. It has a fishy smell, is yellowish and has a texture similar to dead jellyfish. Yum, yum.

Thing is, if they'd added the juice from a tin of anchovies and a drop of yellow food dye to the batches - they might never have been spotted......
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Considering they were making fake calamari from pigs' arseholes as well, I think it's probably best to avoid seafood altogether.

SD Regular
    JS. Many thanks.

Another benefit of subscribing to the SD Forum. It's best that we know these things to avoid becoming victims of such culinary duplicity. Mind if they went to Skegness beach in the 1960s they could have had all the jellyfish they wanted FOC.

TT! Really?

Turning arseholes into cephalopods? Like turning base metal into gold? What strange oriental alimentary alchemy is this? No I don't believe that. Where's you primary source for this wicked slander perpetrated against our Sino-British restaurant trade?

We must be told...
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 10-05-2016 at 11:52.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but it was all over the net a couple of years back.

Food fraud in America: What are you really eating? - Yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    Considering they were making fake calamari from pigs' arseholes as well, I think it's probably best to avoid seafood altogether.
    Is there no end to their ingenuity?

No wonder we are losing our manufacturing base - I mean how can we compete with that kind of creative genius. I'd look at a pigs sphincter and, being totally honest here, calamari would be furthest from my mind.

I'm just not cut out for the cutting edge of food technology.

Mrs JS, on the other hand, could make calamari taste like a pigs arse any day of the week.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

SD Regular
    Well. I'm shocked TT, truly shocked. And, it's on the internet, so as we know it must be true.

There I was thinking I was enjoying some finely shredded and fried tentacled marine creature when, in fact, I'd been exercising my chompers of some poor porcine's sliced and diced ring piece.

I shudder at the thought of it. What next? That "Bombay Ducks" aren't really wildfowl at all. The *******s!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 10-05-2016 at 15:14.

I love calamari.

Wolfie