Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat labradors

Fat labradors

On the news tonight, Labradors have a gene that gives them the propensity to over eat and be over weight. Well its not like they go in the kitchen after their tea and help themselves to a beer and an extra pie and a bowl of trifle. Surely good food in the correct quantity with a good level of exercise equals a trim and fit Labrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom270 View Post
    On the news tonight, Labradors have a gene that gives them the propensity to over eat and be over weight. Well its not like they go in the kitchen after their tea and help themselves to a beer and an extra pie and a bowl of trifle. Surely good food in the correct quantity with a good level of exercise equals a trim and fit Labrador.

I can't sstand seeing overweight dogs of any breed, I think the problem with labs is some people have a really warped idea of what they should be built like. I prefer a well bulit lab to the super skinny ones, but no dog should be fat by default.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

All dogs have a propensity to overeat, the problem is owners that have a propensity to over feed. Like SS, I can't stand to see a fat dog; 9 times out of 10 it is a weak and lazy human that can't be bothered to control intake and thinks he is hungry just because he is interested in food.

[QUOTE=9 times out of 10 it is a weak and lazy human that can't be bothered to control intake and thinks he is hungry just because he is interested in food.[/QUOTE]

I know my problem now I'm a Labrador.

I believe the research was carried out by the Ematorius Professor of Stating the Bleedin Obvious at the University of "D'ya think!"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Do you mean emeritus?

F

Possibly
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Co1 View Post
    All dogs have a propensity to overeat, the problem is owners that have a propensity to over feed. Like SS, I can't stand to see a fat dog; 9 times out of 10 it is a weak and lazy human that can't be bothered to control intake and thinks he is hungry just because he is interested in food.

Bang on , the owner will be fat and lazy also because they don't get any excercise taking the dog out for its exercise lol

kjf

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I know my problem now I'm a Labrador.
    That makes two of us.

surely its the same as Fat Kids ? when I was a nipper in the 1980s there was one fat kid in the class and his parents were fat - nowadays my kids are in a class where at least a 1/3 are seriously overweight for their age - the Labs might has a gene but they have to be fed or have access to food for it to work