Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141

Thread: Surprise Visit

  1. #1

    Surprise Visit

    Just had a visit from a PC in a marked car to check my firearms security? He arrived at 9.30pm! found it to be strange? the chap was very polite, just mentioned he was under pressure from above to check security arrangements? He had a quick look, ticked a few boxes and left? Has this happened to anyone else?

  2. #2
    why on earth did you let him in? Should have refused politely and asked him to make an appointment. See thread on very subject on here.

    D

  3. #3
    Did he ask to see your guns?

    Ian.

  4. #4
    My FEO mention that this was on the cards in my area all totally legit, polite refusal and appointment for a more convenient time was also his suggestion.

  5. #5
    Just another arse covering exercise, it will do nothing but inconvenience license holders, and have no effect on criminals.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Just another arse covering exercise, it will do nothing but inconvenience license holders, and have no effect on criminals.
    This was supposed to NOT happen after the Andy Marsh 'shop a shooter' 'initiative', (the last word being an oxymoron).
    Like all things, allow it and it will become a requirement. It is for US to drill into shooters continuing reference to the law and best practice to and that THEY are responsible for security to avoid any justification for the police to check to ensure a lack of security consciousness does not allow guns to fall into the 'wrong' hands.
    Whilst I would have got 10/10 for my security, I would have asked politely for them to go through due process, as we are made to do. I wonder if we can ever stop being the good guys or are we just worried about renewals a little too much ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    This was supposed to NOT happen after the Andy Marsh 'shop a shooter' 'initiative', (the last word being an oxymoron).
    Like all things, allow it and it will become a requirement.
    It's up to individual FAC holders to question any police officer calling unannounced 'to inspect security' if this type of thing is not to become the norm. The HO Guidance is quite specific about the circumstances in which unannounced visits should be undertaken - "based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm" - and not just a spot check, which might be construed as an attempt to try and catch FAC holders out (aka a fishing expedition).

    I'd personally want to establish the reason for any unannounced visit and who it was authorised by before deciding on a course of action as; "to mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit", and if it wasn't based on "specific intelligence" etc., or no "reasoned explanation" was forthcoming, then it would certainly result in a refusal and a letter or two going in to the appropriate people including my MP.

    Yet another step down the slippery slope and I fail to see why, as the holder of an FAC, I should be subjected to unwarranted invasions of my privacy. Whatever next, Environmental Health officials demanding entry to see if there's anything in the fridge that's past it's best before date?

    Refer to HO Guidance Chapter 19.11 & 12 for references.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It's up to individual FAC holders to question any police officer calling unannounced 'to inspect security' if this type of thing is not to become the norm. The HO Guidance is quite specific about the circumstances in which unannounced visits should be undertaken - "based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm" - and not just a spot check, which might be construed as an attempt to try and catch FAC holders out (aka a fishing expedition).

    I'd personally want to establish the reason for any unannounced visit and who it was authorised by before deciding on a course of action as; "to mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit", and if it wasn't based on "specific intelligence" etc., or no "reasoned explanation" was forthcoming, then it would certainly result in a refusal and a letter or two going in to the appropriate people including my MP.

    Yet another step down the slippery slope and I fail to see why, as the holder of an FAC, I should be subjected to unwarranted invasions of my privacy. Whatever next, Environmental Health officials demanding entry to see if there's anything in the fridge that's past it's best before date?

    Refer to HO Guidance Chapter 19.11 & 12 for references.
    Excellent response and advice from Orion. The only thing I would add is that if you feel uncomfortable in challenging such unannounced visits make sure your shooting organisation takes it up on your behalf.

  9. #9
    All

    I did question, the timing and his reply was he is constant night shift, with a million things to do? he actually seemed uncomfortable asking and apologized for the timing! i personally didn't have a problem, nothing to hide! he came in had a look at the cabinets asked me to open them, i didn't remove any firearms, he ticked a few boxes, shook my hand and left! all in he was there ten minutes!

    No major drama really! just found it strange?

  10. #10
    Perhaps they might better use their forces monies on hurrying up renewals?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Similar Threads

  1. Took me by surprise
    By ILoveBambi in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-02-2016, 02:56
  2. What A Surprise This Was
    By carlthetrapper in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2015, 00:44
  3. Surprise, surprise.
    By Muir in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-11-2013, 23:57
  4. Now there's a surprise!!
    By old keeper in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-10-2012, 08:50
  5. This morning's surprise.
    By cyberstag in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-02-2010, 09:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •