Thread: Certificate question

Certificate question

At the moment I have a blaser rifle r93 with 3 barrels, .308, 6.5 x 55 and .243. My rifle is listed on my certificate as .308 rifle with 6.5 x55 spare barrel, and .243 spare barrel.

My sound moderator is listed as .308 sound moderator that I then use on all the barrels.

Now.. I wish to sell the 308 and 6.5 x 55 barrels and keep the moderator to use on my .243 barrel (now rifle). If your still with me! Can my moderator just be changed to .243 moderator on my certificate as I intend to buy a different moderator (additional) when I buy a new .308 rifle.? I hope this is not too confusing! Thanks.

SD Regular
    Not confusing at all. As logically the police might ask as you don't have a .308 rifle why do you need a .308 moderator. Also if you sell it, and you've now had it listed as a .243 moderator what if a private buyer wants to buy it and he/she has a variation for a .308 moderator?

But if you are buying a .308 then I am guessing you could justify retaining it to be used on that future purchase. So I'd put in for two x "1 for 1" variations for "1x .308 rifle" (to replace the .308 barrel) and "1 x .243 moderator" (to replace the 6.5x55 barrel).

Or, and this I don't know, just have your moderator re-listed as "1 x centrefire moderator"?

And explain that in this case one size truly does fit all! Now that may mean that your condition needs to be varied to read in line with your planned disposal and acquisitions "the .243 and .308 rifles and, if fitted to either of them, the centrefire moderator may be used...."

Thankyou.

just to clarify. I would keep or use my one existing moderator (listed as .308 sound moderator) to use on my new 308, but the threading is different on the new rifle I'm getting. Hence the need for a new moderator and to keep the one I've got on my .243 barrel.

SD Regular
    What is the original moderator Proof Mark marked at? That may well be the crux of what, or what not, "calibre" it is. In which case it's maybe more complicated but nothing that can't be addressed by a re-wording of your conditions. If you know the make of it that's easy. Have the new condition to say "the .308 rifle and if fitted .308 moderator and the .243" rifle and if fitted .308 YYYY make moderator may be used for..."

Get it changed to "full bore moderator" if you can. That's all that's on my cert.

I wonder why did they not have each rifle listed as an individual rifle with moderator(s) and not defined them as spare barrels, then you could add and dispose of a defined element without affecting the others that are listed on your FAC, this is what they did for me, I have a similar choice but all are listed as individual rifles with moderators, you do not need to actual own them, as defined.

Maybe request a variation to define each one as an individual rifle with moderator, on the Blaser and other interchangeable rifles is is only the barrel which has the serial number, which is probable the only reason for listing the barrels.

Another item that defines the inconstancy of standards across the different FA authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by OISÍN View Post
    I wonder why did they not have each rifle listed as an individual rifle with moderator(s) and not defined them as spare barrels, then you could add and dispose of a defined element without affecting the others that are listed on your FAC, this is what they did for me, I have a similar choice but all are listed as individual rifles with moderators, you do not need to actual own them, as defined.

Maybe request a variation to define each one as an individual rifle with moderator, on the Blaser and other interchangeable rifles is is only the barrel which has the serial number, which is probable the only reason for listing the barrels.

Another item that defines the inconstancy of standards across the different FA authorities.
    Most likely because there is only one "action" or receiver yet three barrels. For there to be 3x Rifles there would have to be 3 full rifles and not one with two extra barrels.

Not all moderators are marked as to caliber on the outside I believe and not all modratorsa re proof marker either. the whole system is a mess and a right cockup.