Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" .243 sako 85

20" .243 sako 85

Would appreciate any coments on this model?

Having just got into stalking im now sick of humping my heavy barreled varnint rifle around with its numb wildcat mod attached, so i have decided to try and find lighter shorter better handling model.

The one i like most and handles the best for me is a wood sako 85 20" with a jet z compact moderator, although the shop owner tried his best to steer me away from it saying he didnt think it was for me as i would struggle with accuracy over 200yds with its short barrel while out foxing ? and i would struggle to get the velocity /energy to make it deer legal ?

I have given a lot of thought about changing cal and read a lot of comments on this site and others but decided to stick with the "girly" .243 that seems to get a lot of stick, the few deer i have shot have dropped dead on the spot and i have lost count of the foxes i have had with this calibre so for me it seems to be doing both jobs ok .

I would also appreciate any load info that this particular rifle likes, thanks in advance DF

Quote Originally Posted by Double four View Post
    Would appreciate any coments on this model?

Having just got into stalking im now sick of humping my heavy barreled varnint rifle around with its numb wildcat mod attached, so i have decided to try and find lighter shorter better handling model.

The one i like most and handles the best for me is a wood sako 85 20" with a jet z compact moderator, although the shop owner tried his best to steer me away from it saying he didnt think it was for me as i would struggle with accuracy over 200yds with its short barrel while out foxing ? and i would struggle to get the velocity /energy to make it deer legal ?

I have given a lot of thought about changing cal and read a lot of comments on this site and others but decided to stick with the "girly" .243 that seems to get a lot of stick, the few deer i have shot have dropped dead on the spot and i have lost count of the foxes i have had with this calibre so for me it seems to be doing both jobs ok .

I would also appreciate any load info that this particular rifle likes, thanks in advance DF

I ran my Sako .243 (20" barrel) on 95g Noslers, no issues with velocity, it does take some reloading to get the powder bullet combo right as to gain that little extra but works fine. As for it not being accurate well to honest the issue would be a shorter barrel, however, its not that bad if you use light bullets like 70g for Fox and heavier bullets for Deer. This is one of those suck it and see situations, the rifle is fine (Other than being an 85...) if you like it buy it.
    Should add, its not accuracy you have to worry about with it, its the fact it will drop a fair bit quicker, but it still not that bad.
    Last edited by Jager SA; 10-06-2010 at 07:33.

Why would a short barrel be less accurate than a long one? What a load of crap.

I have a Sako 75 with a 20.5" barrel and a Jet Z - great combination, though mine is a 260rem. To be fair, a slightly larger calibre will do better with a short barrel than a 243, but I would not worry about it. If it is a 243 you want, go for it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post

I have a Sako 75 with a 20.5" barrel and a Jet Z - great combination, though mine is a 260rem. To be fair, a slightly larger calibre will do better with a short barrel than a 243, but I would not worry about it. If it is a 243 you want, go for it.
    You would of though the dealer would take his hand off and get rid of a rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    You would of though the dealer would take his hand off and get rid of a rifle!
    I can't speak of UK dealers, but, with one notable exception, it has been my experience in NI that firearms dealers know sweet FA aboout rifles. I went in one day to buy .224 bullets to reload for my 222rem. The dealer had been in business at least 20 years, he tried to tell me that the 224 bullets were unsuitable for a 222rem - "they will be too big". Seriously.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Not too surprising, the Plods don't understand much about calibres either. .264=.260=6.5mm. Or .284=.275=7mm Ho Hum.

Apologies for going off your thread, and you might like to try 85Gn Sierra Gamekings, I used them a lot in my Tikka595 when it was a 243, very accurate in my experience, and worked on Roe, fox, just fine at about 3350 fps !

Best

P

I have a 20" barrelled Sako 85 Finnlight in .243 and I can't fault it. It's light, pointy and accurate. I've not started reloading for it yet as I'm still working through a supply of factory ammo, but I put Federal 100gr SP through it to good effect.

As for the velocity/short barrel thing, I've not had the opportunity to chrono it, but I really don't think you'll have a problem with velocity.

Alex

I can't speak of UK dealers, but, with one notable exception, it has been my experience in NI that firearms dealers know sweet FA aboout rifles. I went in one day to buy .224 bullets to reload for my 222rem. The dealer had been in business at least 20 years, he tried to tell me that the 224 bullets were unsuitable for a 222rem - "they will be too big". Seriously.
    well it does say .224 on the packet!

Well i couldn't work that one out , but the guy should know as he makes his own actions builds rifles ect so i just took him at his word .

So whats up with the 85s ? i had a 75 varmint the rifle before last thought it was a cracking bit of kit , the 85 looks a fair bit smaller than the 75 infact my wood stocked sako quad looks bigger !and the metal is matt black opposed to a blued finish.

I did consider moving up to 260 rem or a 6.5x55 as i have some big stags on my land , but to be honest im not too fussed about shooting them as there are too many trophy hunters around chasing them without me been added to the list ! so the rifle would mainly be used for roe and fox . DF

my T3 is chopped down to 17" have a T8 on it ,it shoots as gud as my custom .