Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small 4x4 sub 1000(ish)

Small 4x4 sub 1000(ish)

Hi all,
    I may soon be forced to lend/give my beloved Xtrail to the wife. Her car isn't coping well with her 60+ mile daily drive and has been a bit of a maintenance money pit in the short time we've owned it. If we do swap I'll most likely try and get rid of her car, cut my losses, and look at something that I can still use for carting dogs and stuff around in, that won't stick in the mud and won't constantly be finding new ways to be broken.
    So this isn't a definite, but I'd be interested to hear off anybody who might be looking to sell a Jimny or something similar. Probably looking at an absolute maximum budget of 1500 if it's not asking the impossible to get something half decent for that money.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Terrible news Simon. When I get my 4x4 it's going to be kept in a manner which will keep my wife well away from it!!

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Terrible news Simon. When I get my 4x4 it's going to be kept in a manner which will keep my wife well away from it!!
    Yeah, I'll be gutted if I have to part with my Xtrail... I'm quite attached to it, but needs must. I may even see if the budget will stretch to an older Xtrail.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    I may soon be forced to lend/give my beloved Xtrail to the wife. Her car isn't coping well with her 60+ mile daily drive and has been a bit of a maintenance money pit in the short time we've owned it. If we do swap I'll most likely try and get rid of her car, cut my losses, and look at something that I can still use for carting dogs and stuff around in, that won't stick in the mud and won't constantly be finding new ways to be broken.
    So this isn't a definite, but I'd be interested to hear off anybody who might be looking to sell a Jimny or something similar. Probably looking at an absolute maximum budget of 1500 if it's not asking the impossible to get something half decent for that money.
    It may be worth looking at a Mitsibushi Pinin, you should be able to find something reliable enough for that sort of money. The one thing I would say about them in the negative is that they can be rust attractants. We had one about 3 years ago that had a 54 plate and 47k on the clock which cost 2200. The only reason we got rid of it was that it was a bit on the small side for us. As a 4x4 it was probably better than a Jiminy and certainly cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    It may be worth looking at a Mitsibushi Pinin, you should be able to find something reliable enough for that sort of money. The one thing I would say about them in the negative is that they can be rust attractants. We had one about 3 years ago that had a 54 plate and 47k on the clock which cost 2200. The only reason we got rid of it was that it was a bit on the small side for us. As a 4x4 it was probably better than a Jiminy and certainly cheaper.
    Thanks, hadn't really considered the pinin. What are they like for space inside? I have a good friend whose family business is a Mitsubishi dealer, might ask her to keep an eye out for any coming in on p/x.
    Blog

Another one to consider may be a Daihatsu Sportrak. (I had one a few years ago before my current Terrano shooting bus.)

1.6 petrol, but light, plenty of ground clearance, a hi/lo box, and with the back seats flipped up, plenty of space in the back for guns, dogs, boots...... I really liked it.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I'm not sure if you will get a grand Vitara for that cash or n older Vitara but Suzuki 4wd hard to beat

Paul

I removed the back seats in mine and that gave room for a dog box and everything else I had to carry. I think if you go the Jiminy route you will end up doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by vizslamad View Post
    I removed the back seats in mine and that gave room for a dog box and everything else I had to carry. I think if you go the Jiminy route you will end up doing the same.
    Yeah, I'd already decided the back seats would go if I went for a Jimny, but having seen the price of them vs the alternatives I don't think a Jimny will be the one I go for. Pinin or short wheelbase Terrano are my favourites at the moment. Just need to find one nearby.
    Blog

This is on airgunbbs, not the cheapest bus on fuel but bomb proof

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ghlight=SUZUKI