Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gralloching

Gralloching

Hello
    Im new to stalking I have been lucky enough to get myself a few premissions I'm just after advice and be shown the whole gralloching and even butchering and skinning process or point me in the right direction for a course? I am booking myself into a dsc1 come end of the year when there is one local. I'm 21 very keen into my field sports mostly self taught but something like this I learn better shown as deer are not quite the same as smaller game and as easy to come by. I can offer someone a hand in return as I'm a electrician. I'm located in Suffolk

cheers Ben

A good place to start would be the Deer Initiative web site and their best practice material.

The Deer Initiative - managing wild deer population in England and Wales

Practicle courses in gralloching and larder work are few but some DSC courses do include a demonstration. Best bet is to find a local stalker that can mentor you.

Lots of videos on YouTube but you can't beat a real demo, find someone local who has one in a chiller.
    some good bios on here for a start

butchery is a personal thing as much as a best way to be done
    lots on YouTube too

good luck and a good offer in return

PM inbound mate I may be able to help if you're willing to travel as I need my larder wiring up and lights fitting so could kill two birds with one stone!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Thanks a very kind offer its not that far from me I'm sure I can help with that. Be had a look through them but you can't match the real thing.
    Thanks Ben

Berg on here owns a butchers shop in Suffolk and runs courses on deer.
    The BDS have a DSC 1 in October in Bardwell.
    Send me a PM of where you are and I may be able to help further.
    MS

Ive been on one of Bergs butchery courses and its a very enjoyable day. If you want to impress your good lady at the same time book the two of you into the swan hotel opposite, youll have a geat weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    Ive been on one of Bergs butchery courses and its a very enjoyable day. If you want to impress your good lady at the same time book the two of you into the swan hotel opposite, youll have a geat weekend
    Win win!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

The two gralloching videos I found most helpful were by Jelen and YRS Yorkshire Roe Stalking, both were posted on here at one time or another, but both hosted on You Tube.

There are some awful cack-handed ones on You Tube too, definitely not conforming to best practice...but for an efficient gralloch in under ten minutes YRS is hard to beat.

Alan

I could possibly help on the gralloch side of things too if you still need it. PM me if you need help. Good luck. Baguio