Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small gouges on extracted cases?

small gouges on extracted cases?

A friend has an older .270 that he has just acquired. It shoots perfectly well for an older gun (around an inch).

However, we have noticed that spent cases have a small divot gouged out of the brass, about 2cm up from the primer end.

The divot is half moon shaped: about three-quarters of a millimetre across, half a mm from front to back and maybe a tenth of an mm deep.

My question: is this a cause for concern? It appears to have no effect on accuracy, but I worry that it might be dangerous (ie. creating a point of weakness on the case where it could rupture).

Thoughts?

Are you able to post a picture of a damaged case?

Is it definitely a divot out or an indent? i.e a piece removed or a bruise put in?

Gouged out would appear to be fouling/scraping occurring during chambering or extraction (needs force and movement). Unless in the loading dies and not the rifle action.

Did it occur on the first one in the magazine or just subsequent ones? A rough/sharp leading edge of the bolt could hit the top round remaining in the magazine as it went forward and the next round moved up perhaps?

Any trace of the removed brass bits in the magazine?

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-05-2016 at 09:22.

Will try to post picture later today.

It is definitely gouged. Appears on both factory rounds and reloads. Appears on every round in the mag, whether hand fed or loaded with bolt.

One additonal bit of info: factory rounds chamber and extract fine. Reloads tend to be very stiff, and can jam. My interpretation is that they are ever so slightly larger, having fire formed to the chamber, and are getting stuck against some little obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Will try to post picture later today.

It is definitely gouged. Appears on both factory rounds and reloads. Appears on every round in the mag, whether hand fed or loaded with bolt.

One additonal bit of info: factory rounds chamber and extract fine. Reloads tend to be very stiff, and can jam. My interpretation is that they are ever so slightly larger, having fire formed to the chamber, and are getting stuck against some little obstruction.
    If factory SAAMI spec rounds chamber and the bolt locks normally, the implication for stiff chambering/jamming with reloads, is the sizing has not bumped the case shoulder back quite far enough.
    IMO you should try to reset the sizing die a little deeper until an empty resized case chambers correctly.
    It's worth doing the test to eliminate (or not) the chamber obstruction causing the indentation as the culprit.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Experienced something very similar with a friend's T3 in 30-06. We eventually located a small burr in the chamber. The rifle had been used in bad weather for some park culling and got dropped in the mud. We thought that a piece of grit perhaps got in when a round was chambered ? Perhaps the grit then gouged the chamber to create the small burr ? We could only detect it with a light and internal scope.
    We could not feel anything with factory nor hand-loads as the bolt was closed though.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

As it appears on both factory and reloads it is not caused by any differences between them, but as the reloads are stiffer a blemish in the chamber would appear the likely culprit as per Uncle Norms experience.

Does it appear on rounds loaded into and then removed from the magazine without cycling the bolt? Magazine sharp edges.

Does it appear on rounds loaded in to the magazine and chambered but not fired? ⇒ Magazine/bolt/chamber edges

You can only really trace it by watching/following the gouged point through the process and looking for any hard edge it is coming in contact with...look for the brass swarf to start with, and any brass adhering to the edges in the action.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-05-2016 at 10:17. Reason: saw Uncle Norms post.

Only appears on rounds that have been fully chambered and the bolt closed (fired and unfired), so I'm fairly certain it's something in the chamber.

Obviously we will try to get the chamber cleaned properly, and get a smith to have a look - but is it safe to use in the meantime?

Well it sounds like a just burr thrown up in the chamber wall in which case you are just wrecking the cases. And as the cases have not failed so far....bit like Russian Roulette!

But without inspection and testing who can say? The worst case I can think of is a metal failure in the chamber, a crack which has gone slightly out of line and gouging the case...in which case it could be catastrophic if it gave way.

I think you have to get it checked.

If you don't know what it is...you don't know what it isn't!

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-05-2016 at 11:13.

I am fairly certain all you can be seeing is an impression of the chamber. What I don't understand is why you see it without firing. I can't imagine it would cause a safety issue as its a way up the case. However if you reload and its destroying cases it could be better to fix sooner rather than later.

The problem with reloads might be unconnected, not properly resized, neck too long etc.

I'd shine a torch from the muzzle and have a good look. Borescope even better. Then I'd bronze brush the chamber thoroughly.

As its a protrusion from the chamber, a chamber reamer used as a hand reamer will remove whatever it is. Corrosion, dirt, piece of case brass etc. Should be done within minutes.