Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binocular upgrade OR not ?

Binocular upgrade OR not ?

Just kicking this around as I decide where to go with my Binocular choice.

Currently using a pair of MINOX HG 8.5 x 52BR which are brilliant. IF I was going to "Upgrade" would I really see a huge difference or benefit using a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42 WB ?

Stalking from woodland to (hopefully) open hill on Arran !
    Sauer 202 6.5 x 55 with S+B 8 x 56.

Thanks in advance for any inputs

My advice would be to get out with both, and use side by side. You might prefer the glass of the Swaros, but hate the feel of them in your hands and there's no way of knowing until you have an immediate comparison.

The MINOX glass is fantastic, especially in the HGs , and x52 will give you a different perspective to the x42, so be mindful of that. What's the weight difference? Again, if the Swaros are lighter, that could be a positive...

If you can, I would suggest trying a pair of MINOX BL 8x44 HD as well. The price difference will be considerably less, and they are just superb for £400
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

In 30 years of stalking I've had only two pairs of Swaro. bins. my first were 7x42SL and while fine for in the trees, hopeless for identifying deer properly at distance. I sold them after three years and bought Swaro. 10x42SLC bins. Had them ever since & they're just as perfect now also more importantly properly useable on open hill. Never felt disadvantaged using them among trees either.
    As you get older, most peoples eyesight deteriorates too, so, just a thought, think of going a bit bigger...it's not that much of a weight penalty.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Don't do it spend the money on something else I did the very same thing a few years back there is no difference what so ever.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Thank you - Definitely food for thought !

If you are off to Arran, wouldn't you want a more punchy caliber?

Stick with the Minox and save the cash. Precious little difference for the cost involved.

I looked at the minox 8x44. Nice glass but didnt like the feel of them. Ended up with vortex vipers and would rate them alongside sworo or zeiss any day

Binos for Arran Scheme

The terrain on Arran can be quite challenging, depending upon which beat you are allocated.
    When selecting binoculars, weight would be a major consideration. 10x mag better (than 7x or 8x) if the bias is more open hill than woodland.
    Saying that you won't know which beat you are allocated until after completing the range work.
    If it's feasible, best bet would be to take two different pairs with you.
    That way you're set up for all eventualities!

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    If you are off to Arran, wouldn't you want a more punchy caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by sikasako View Post
    The terrain on Arran can be quite challenging, depending upon which beat you are allocated.
    When selecting binoculars, weight would be a major consideration. 10x mag better (than 7x or 8x) if the bias is more open hill than woodland.
    Both bang on - 10x42 Way to go IMO
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!