Thread: Bullet Seating Advice How to Avoid Ring Marks on Your Bullets

I had that problem with the Lee Dead length bullet seating die. On a compressed load it would often bruise the bullet so badly it would then pull the bullet out again.

My fix was a wooden pencil in the chuck of the drill with some Autosol metal polish to take out the bur inside.

I have also gone from a compressed IMR4895 load to an uncompressed H335 one.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-05-2016 at 10:40.

Well I'll be!

I can honestly say that I have never encountered such marks on any bullets, included cast lead ones, that I have reloaded. The effort needed to seat those so marked must have been very high and forgive me but surely this tells the reloader that something is just not right and to have a careful look and see what is wrong.

Sometimes a little application of common sense is required ............................................ sadly there seems to be a huge lack of it today.

It is true the linked photo shows a radically deformed bullet, almost like it was pushed into a parallel tube...I wondered if it was just done for the photo?

The marks on my bullets were just little bright rings where the rough edges had snagged the surface. They were just behind the tip, so at the other end of the seating cone. Sufficient interference to pull the bullet out a few thou though.

Common sense suggested I polish mine out...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    It is true the linked photo shows a radically deformed bullet, almost like it was pushed into a parallel tube...I wondered if it was just done for the photo?

The marks on my bullets were just little bright rings where the rough edges had snagged the surface. They were just behind the tip, so at the other end of the seating cone. Sufficient interference to pull the bullet out a few thou though.

Common sense suggested I polish mine out...

Alan
    Alan your a dying breed! one that knows and uses common sense .................................................. . shame there are not more like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Alan your a dying breed! one that knows and uses common sense .................................................. . shame there are not more like you.
    Forty odd years as a tool and machine wielding/maintaining/making artist craftsman blacksmith/silversmith might have had something to do with recognising and fixing the problem...as well as common sense!

Alan

SD Regular
    I used sealing wax to fill the seater plug or coated the bullet with valve grinding paste and spun the seater plug, held in a drill against the bullet held in pliers. Both methods worked.