22-250 first time

Wylyetom

Good Morning,
Following on from my questions over this round I have finally started to reload, up until now I have only been reloading (and enjoying) my .22 hornet, now its time for its bigger brother. just a few pointers needed, do I need to use my expander die and or my crimping die as i do on my hornet, I will start by loading 40 grain V max ( only because I have 300 that once loaded into the hornet were then too long to magazine feed),with H4895 powder using Remington brass, and also once fired do you neck size or stick with full length size? Sorry for questions that have probably been asked before but I just wanted to be sure, I look forward to some experienced advice, Many thanks Tom

If you are using factory ammo then once fired it is sized to your chamber. The cases only need to to neck sized before reloading.
If using once fired from another rifle then these cases will need to be full length sized. Once reloaded and fired in your rifle then its neck sizing only for them as well.
Hornet cases are very thin hence the need for expander dies to stop them crushing and crimp dies to hold the bullets in creating a bit more backpressure for higher velocity.
22-250 cases are a bit more sturdier so no expanding required. Crimping is a personal thing but I dont know anyone who does it.
To prolong case life others recommend full length resizing and annealing after 5 reloads.
22-250 is a great round, enjoy it.

My advice Tom (and you may not like this:evil:) is to keep your 40gr bullets for your Hornet. With a 40 gr bullet in a 22.250 you can expect fps well over 4000 and that could compromise the life expectancy of your barrel. Personally I would go for a 55gr bullet that will travel 500 fps slower. Its not speed that kills but accuracy. Just my 2p worth.

Full length resize. Trim to uniform length. Prime. charge. seat. Crimp.
I am surprised that Kal doesn't know anyone who crimps. I mean, 99% of all factory loads are crimped.;)
And FL resized...
And trimmed to uniform length....~Muir

PS: 55 grain bullets. Varget if you got it.

Thanks for all the advice, wasn't sure if to use the expander but after reloading only the hornet when I first put the 22-250 cartridge in the press I then realised how thin hornet cases are! I did load some 40 grain and was amazed at the accuracy, punched touching holes with a couple of different powder weights, I will shoot the last 10'ive loaded and then try the 50 grain V max I bought for the rifle, thanks again Tom

I am surprised that Kal doesn't know anyone who crimps.

I should have been more specific.
I now lots of people who crimp their reloads. I crimp my K Hornet and 357 Magnum.
The OP was asking about 22-250 reloads and of the dozen or so folk that I know have this caliber, none crimp. I dont crimp my .308 either.
The OP will know all about trimming especially if he's been reloading them streachy little hornet cases.
Of course all factory loads are FL Sized, they have to be to guarantee to fit all varying chamber sizes but after being fireformed to your own rifle its then a matter of personal choice.

Anyway, Your choice Tom. ;)

Thanks Kal,

Just spoke to my local reloading supplies shop with regards to a crimping die, they concur with you and advised not to bother crimping the 22-250 as the neck tension should hold the bullet perfectly well,and this would also add in another variable. I also asked on the use of 40 grain bullet and barrel wear, they do appreciate that the 40 grain bullet would travel a lot faster down the barrel but the fact that it is lighter it would have less inertia, so the barrel wear difference between a heavier slower bullet is negligable? Not sure on all this as I' no expert but I still think I'll take PeterH advice and switch back to 50 grain.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about barrel life unless its going to see a lot of range time. I use the 40grn V-max's in my .22-250 and really rate them. Including the occasional zero check combined with the 50-70 foxes I shoot each year I bet I don't fire 100 rounds a year. It's not like it gets hot either as were not going to be shooting 10 rounds one after the other. I've fired about 400 through it so far, so even if the barrel only lasts 2000 (which I doubt), that's still 16 years of shooting left! And even then, its not like it hits 2k then does dinner plate groups with shot 2001 onwards. I'll probably have either sold it or had it rebarrelled out of my own choice by then.

Thanks Kal,

Just spoke to my local reloading supplies shop with regards to a crimping die, they concur with you and advised not to bother crimping the 22-250 as the neck tension should hold the bullet perfectly well,and this would also add in another variable. I also asked on the use of 40 grain bullet and barrel wear, they do appreciate that the 40 grain bullet would travel a lot faster down the barrel but the fact that it is lighter it would have less inertia, so the barrel wear difference between a heavier slower bullet is negligable? Not sure on all this as I' no expert but I still think I'll take PeterH advice and switch back to 50 grain.
They know not of which they speak. Crimping has been proven time and time again to reduce extreme spread and standard deviation. In essence, it removed variables. But as Kal says, do what you will.~Muir

What twist is the rifle? My 1in 14" doesn't seem to enjoy 55gr vmax but can just about shoot the 55great Sierra blitzkings, it loves the 50gr blitzkings.

I crimp!!:)

I only crimp the 375 HH none of my other calibres get crimped and all shoot perfectly tight groups.

Back