3 days of bliss

Kjf

The truck is packed( except for the obvious items, obviously lol)

I've got 3 days in the Scottish Borders after my 1st Buck of the season, I can't bloody wait,

stalking in fine surroundings, eating fine foods with the odd dram threw in for good measure lol

no wife, no kids, just me my rifle and peace and quiet,

ahhh pure bliss,

atb

kjf

The truck is packed( except for the obvious items, obviously lol)

I've got 3 days in the Scottish Borders after my 1st Buck of the season, I can't bloody wait,

stalking in fine surroundings, eating fine foods with the odd dram threw in for good measure lol

no wife, no kids, just me my rifle and peace and quiet,

ahhh pure bliss,

atb

kjf

Way to go!

Cheers ADRF,fingers crossed I will grass my first deer on my new to me syndicate ground,

ive had 6 days up there before tomorrow, I've seen deer but no shot presented itself,

heres hoping for a successful few days, if none are grassed who cares ,it's all part of my lone stalking learning curve, and the privalige of being out there,

venison in the freezer would be awfully nice though lol

atb

kjf

Man after my own heart.

Enjoy and take it steady, don't pressure yourself and let the deer come to you :thumb:

Few things in life better than time alone to think, the wind in your face and rifle on your shoulder. Enjoy your trip, aside from the roe rut, I am looking forward to my Autumn trip up north.

Cheers lads, I'm setting off at about 11am (after the M6 has hopefully died down) I shall be in the grounds at approx 2.30 pm, a quick reccying , a bit of grub then stalking from 6pm till last light

atb

kjf

2016-05-14 07.11.41.jpgWell it all came together yesterday morning at 6am, I was stalking a small wood when I spotted a doe about 50 yds away, the wind was in my face and she didn't have a clue I was there.i was watching her for a good 4-5 mins getting closer and closer to me, she eventually winded me at about 15 yds away and off she went barking like a good un. I smiled to myself as all the training and field craft and stalks over the last 2 years were slotting together nicely.I stood my ground for another 5 mins still glassing the wood in front of me . She was still sounding the alarm call when I heard more barking to the right of me , a lovely little 6 pointer had come to see what all the fuss was about.I Was already on the sticks so I flicked off the safety, put the cross hairs behind the shoulder and gently squeezed the trigger and released the 308 bullet, at 40yds he dropped on the spot. I rolled a smoke then walked over to where the buck lay. A perfect shot !!!!to say I was chuffed is an understatement,

I then got on with the gralloch and found that the round had took out the heart, perfect shot placement!!!!!!!!!!

This was my first buck on my new syndicate ground, also my first unaccompanied grassed beast,

i have shot shot a few deer over the last 2 years but always on guided or highseat stalks,

It was a great first milestone for me to overcome,

I have just finished butchering the beast and the fillets are in the fridge ready for tea, I shall crack open a nice bottle of red later and reflect on an excellent morning stalk , what an experience!!!!

atb

kjf

Last edited:
brilliant mate have you stopped quivering yet, marvolous moment when you get your own,,,and like an idiot start looking around too see if anyone else saw it!glad you had a good one,,:thumb:

Nice little by buck. Well done. Nothing beats summer Roe Buck stalking. It's just so unpredictable as the bucks get active.

Back