Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oxford meet

oxford meet

about time for the annual meet of the oxford chapter of the sd. may i suggest we do it this side of harvest and rut as i will hopefully be a little busy then.

pete

Definitely up for that Pete, weekday evenings best for me, any time in the next couple of weeks is ok. Doghouse was ok for the venue last time but open to suggestions for another local venue.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Pete

Count me in as well.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Pete,

And me... weekdays fine except Mondays and alternate Wednesdays (i.e. 23/6 and 7/7 no good)

Re possible alternative venues (not that there is anything wrong in sticking with The Dog House Hotel) we could go to the Bell Inn in Alford (nr Pangbourne) it is a really great traditional pub and if we wanted to be around Oxford we could use the Victoria Arms in Marston (riverside and plenty of parking).

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by mallettn View Post
    we could go to the Bell Inn in Alford (nr Pangbourne) it is a really great traditional pub and if we wanted to be around Oxford we could use the Victoria Arms in Marston (riverside and plenty of parking).

Neal
    Neal

Do you mean The Bell at Aldworth by any chance?

http://www.aldworth.info/Aldworth/bell.html

If so, it's a great pub!

Otherwise, we could do the White Hart at Fyfield:

http://www.whitehart-fyfield.com/

We recently grabbed a bite at the Greyhound, Besselsleigh, which was nice:

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/greyhound/

My God.....this makes me sound like I have a problem.....

willie_gunn

Dominic,

I did indeed mean The Bell at Aldworth, quite why I wrote Alford I don't know. It serves great local beer and traditional fare (eg salt beef rolls) and has apparently been owned by the same family for 250 years. So I am sure it would be a good experience for those who haven't been. Then again with your suggestions we could pretend we were students again and go on a pub crawl!

Neal

Dom

The White Heart at Fyfield is a great pub, owned by Mark & Kay friends of Jayne & I, only problem is the small bar area if its busy, nice big terrace & garden if its a warm night though.
    There also the added attraction of the bronze stag in the garden!

The Greyhound’s just been refurbished & under new management, Jayne went the other evening & said it was quite nice in there.

We could also try The Lamb at Buckland, which had a bit of makeover a while ago.

Do you know what the Horse & Jockey’s like at Stanford In The Vale?

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Rob; 11-06-2010 at 00:11.
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    We could also try The Lamb at Buckland, which had a bit of makeover a while ago.

Do you know what the Horse & Jockey’s like at Stanford In The Vale?
    Chris

I haven't been to the Lamb since it was taken over - and I haven't been to the Horse & Jockey full stop!! My problem seems to be that the nearer the pub, the less likely I am to have visited it The Blowing Stone in Kingston Lisle is good - recently taken over by the couple from the White Horse in Woolstone (which has gone downhill by all accounts)

Neal

The Bell is at the top of the list when it comes to real pubs. The salt beef rolls take some beating. I did hear once that the owner got soft and decided to go all "gastro-pub-y" - well, he offered a bowl of soup if it got really cold in Winter. The only other pub I've ever been to like it was the Mounted Rifleman near Faversham. It looked like a regular house from the outside and all the beer had to be drawn from the barrels down in the cellar. Now it's gone

Enough of the reminiscing! Where and when are we going to meet??

Dom

ok how about wed 30/06 (date not calibre) at the dog house. The other venues sound good but the doghouse was ok and if it aint broke and all that.

pete

Works for me

Neal