CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39

Muir

Picked up one of these at the Trading Post today, NIB. Gorgeous piece of walnut. Good trigger.
I found 100 pcs of 30 year old IMI un primed brass in the reloading room but I can't find my dies! Guess a test fire will have to wait. ~Muir

These are great little carbines, CZ being one of the last gun makers from whom you can pick up decent wood and steel kit at a resonable price. Is there plenty of cheap mil surp ammo over there for a bit of plinking? Keep us up to speed with your progress on this interesting project. Chris.

Picked up one of these at the Trading Post today, NIB. Gorgeous piece of walnut. Good trigger.
I found 100 pcs of 30 year old IMI un primed brass in the reloading room but I can't find my dies! Guess a test fire will have to wait. ~Muir

Always thought this would be a lovely little rifle for roe. Sadly it doesn't make energy / velocity requirements for roe deer in the UK.

I've got a 527 in .223 and I love it

Agreed.
Had one as my first rifle, home reloaded for it, as well as using surplus Soviet ammo.

Sold it to Neil (Hornet 6) a couple of years ago.
Sometimes think I'd like another but have no "Good Reason" for it now - moved up to .243 and .308 and they cover my needs

Sold it to Neil (Hornet 6) a couple of years ago.
Sometimes think I'd like another but have no "Good Reason" for it now - moved up to .243 and .308 and they cover my needs

Who lost his good reason almost as soon as he got home with it, it has sat in the safe unused ever since :doh:
It probably is about time I advertised it, and all the dies etc. scope rings and moderator I have bought for it :banghead:

Neil. :)

Who lost his good reason almost as soon as he got home with it, it has sat in the safe unused ever since :doh:
It probably is about time I advertised it, and all the dies etc. scope rings and moderator I have bought for it :banghead:

Neil, did you get it screw cut and the front sight repositioned?
atb
Richard

Neil, did you get it screw cut and the front sight repositioned?
atb
Richard

Threaded and sight mounted on the thread protector, but to be honest it needs doing again as once tight the sight is not in line.
As I lost the permission it was for at about that time I haven't bothered to sort it out.

Let us know how that thing shoots. I bet is pretty accurate. I would like a CZ 527 FS in a Mannlicher stock.

The 7.62x39mm is not a long range cartridge, but is sure makes a nice deer round for a lightweight carbine for work inside 150 yards.

There have been millions of whitetail deer killed with the SKS in the USA. My ChiCom SKS is pretty light weight with the bayonet removed. A friend of mine, a dentist, has a wife who got into deer hunting and bought an SKS for $79.00 back about 20 years ago, then moved on to a Ruger Mini-30. She has killed a boxcar load of deer with the Winchester Silvertips.

Let us know how that thing shoots. I bet is pretty accurate. I would like a CZ 527 FS in a Mannlicher stock.

The 7.62x39mm is not a long range cartridge, but is sure makes a nice deer round for a lightweight carbine for work inside 150 yards.

There have been millions of whitetail deer killed with the SKS in the USA. My ChiCom SKS is pretty light weight with the bayonet removed. A friend of mine, a dentist, has a wife who got into deer hunting and bought an SKS for $79.00 back about 20 years ago, then moved on to a Ruger Mini-30. She has killed a boxcar load of deer with the Winchester Silvertips.
I'm sure she has. I have an acquaintance in South Dakota who uses a carbine like mine on big river-bottom whitetails. Says he wouldn't carry anything else. I spent the weekend with my girlfriend looking at deer out west of me but I did manage to sneak to the range with the CZ and a box of PPU 123 grain FMJ before we left. I set up at 8" paper plate at 25M and put 10 shots into 3/4" x 1.7" grouping off hand with the iron sights. That was as good as I could hold. I went back out this evening and met up with some buddies at the range. We were hitting hitting a 8" diameter steel plate at 100 once we learned where to hold. I think I need to set the rear sight to the right a tad.

On the way back from the scouting I passed through the City and picked up dies and some bullets. I'll set to loading for it soon.~Muir

pictures or it never happened!!

sounds an awesome bit of kit
Here it is on the tail gate of my old Hilux.~Muir

CZ527X39_zpsaicrxfrs.jpg

Nice old school design on a small scale, with handsome figure in the wood and nice checkering. I am coming down with a case of the Gimmees.

It's been on my bucket list for a long time....~Muir
PS: One issue with the rifle is that with PPU 123 grain, at least, it hits 6" low at 100M. The front sight blades are interchangeable and I ordered a full 5-blade set from CZ-USA for $45. Should be here by the weekend. Issue resolved.

Last edited:
But surely it is impossible to shoot with any accuracy unless one uses at least a 12x mag scope!!!!! just read a few optics and shooting posts on these very forums :stir:.

Nice bit of wood on that there CZ Muir. Am wondering how does the 7.63x39 Russian round compare with ols time American ones like .30 Remington? I had a quick look but my reloading manuals do not include these rounds.

Back